Chapter Twenty Two - A Normal Girl

The morning daylight shined through the leaves of the trees, dancing between the branches and blinding her eyes whenever a tree trunk wasn't in the way. Her father's Range Rover sped back down the road they had used the day before, through her favourite little tunnel of trees. They normally wouldn't be going back that way until the weekend was over, since most of their time during their Bucklebury weekends was spent on her grandparent's land. The only reason to ever leave the grounds was when they were heading back to the airport and home, but that day, on this occasion, things were different.

They were "Just popping out for a bit", which was how her mother had referred to the trip, so casually that you would think there was nothing to worry about.

She had woken up bright and early, happy and content as she ate her breakfast of bacon and eggs. The news of her mother's pregnancy was still an exciting topic but it was beginning to settle down, and her conversation with her aunt several hours before had soothed any nerves that had prevented her from falling asleep. When she opened the curtains in her room and peered out across the misty farmland and serene forests that surrounded their country retreat, she could tell it was going to be a good day.

Ellie dressed herself in her most casual clothes, along with a pair of pink wellington boots that she was expecting to need at some point during the day.

"Maybe we'll go for a walk" she thought to herself as a list of possible activities for the day floated through her mind, "Something fun"

Alex clearly had the same idea when she saw her sister waiting at the bottom of the stairs. She was wearing her own pair of pink wellington boots, the same as Ellie's. They both wanted new pairs, but at the same time they loved the little squealing noises that their parents made whenever they saw them in their little pink boots.

They were ready for a day of rest and relaxation, family time and excitement, but their ideal plan for the day was quickly derailed.

"I need to go into town to get some stuff for dinner tonight" her grandmother announced, dressed and ready to leave already.

"Need any help Mum?" Kate asked as they all made their way into the kitchen.

Her grandmother stopped herself and turned to them, clearly surprised at what Kate was asking. "Shopping? In Town? Are you sure you want to go out there?"

"Of course, it's only Bucklebury mother" her mother replied nonchalantly "We can all go. Make it a family outing. Will?"

"All of us?" Ellie asked. She was immediately felt helpless as every adult in the room ignored her protest.

"But..." her dad looked at her mum with a cute pleading look "Hun, there's a game on at noon"

"Willy..." Kate looked at her husband with a disappointed frown, but upon seeing his eyes glisten and tug at everyone's heart strings, her mother relented. "Oh, fine. Are all the guys staying in?"

"Please come with us Dad" Alex pleaded, but her protests were also ignored by everyone in the room. The adults seemed to be freely able to excuse themselves from the trip, but Ellie and her sister leaving the safety of the grounds felt like a definite certainty.

"Mark and I are going to watch the game too, so I guess it'll be a guy's day in and a girl's day out" Mike grinned smugly as he took his place at the table and began digging into his breakfast.

"Well put Mike" said Mark as he entered the room and stood beside her father and grandfather on the other side of the table.

The men were now perfectly positioned on one side of the table, separated completely from the women on the other side. It was clear that the guys were teaming up against the girls to get out of shopping duty, until Pippa finally arrived in the kitchen with Jenny and Charlie fast asleep in her arms.