Chapter Seven - High Flyers

After only two hours, they were getting back into the carriages for the ride back to Buckingham. The Queen would stay for an extra twenty minutes or so as the parade came to a close, but Ellie, Kate, Harry and the rest of the royals not taking part in the ceremony were just about done for the day.

The parade ceremonies had always been a bit boring to her, but year after year, as she got older, her curiosity could only increase.

"I know its tradition" she started "...and it's important..."

"But what really is Trooping the Colour?" she asked, looking at Harry.

The carriage started moving again, this time out the other side of Horse Guards. Harry took a moment or two to think of an answer that she would understand, so Ellie started greeting the crowds alongside the road as she waited.

"It dates back centuries," Harry said after a while. Their waving was less frequent this time around, but each of them still did their best to acknowledge the crowd.

"In battle, regiments colours were used as rallying points..." he said slowly, thinking Ellie would be lost already, but she nodded along and followed closely.

He seemed to get more comfortable after that, convinced that she might actually be interested. "Regiments would have their ensigns, the flag bearers, march the colours between the ranks" He eyed her for a moment "So that every soldier was familiar with their colours, and would know where to go during battle."

Ellie glanced at her mother who was also listening intently, probably just admiring his knowledge of the subject since she already knew each ceremony inside out.

"A regiments colours embody its spirit and service, and its fallen soldiers," he continued "It was the greatest shame to lose the colours on the battlefield, and the greatest glory to take an enemies colours" Harry was almost bursting with pride at that point.

"The colours are revered by the whole regiment, second only to the sovereign. That's why we still do it today, even if it's largely ceremonial" he finished

"It's an honour for the soldiers to troop their colours in front of the Queen, and it's... an honour for the Queen... to be so highly acknowledged?" Ellie peered at her uncle, gradually understanding it.

Harry chuckled "Close enough"

Kate patted her arm and smiled proudly, "You're learning, sweetheart"

"We might make a Queen out of you yet" Harry grinned at her. Ellie felt a warm, fuzzy feeling growing in her stomach. I'm starting to get it, then.

The guards stood at attention as they passed by, but otherwise they did nothing else. The crowds were the exact opposite, cheering and waving wildly whilst the guards remained firm and stone-faced. It was the same all the way back down the Mall, and eventually they were passing through the gates, the forecourt, and were back inside the inner courtyard of Buckingham Palace. Harry got out first, purposely shoving his big butt in her face as he stepped down from the carriage.

"Ladies first..." Ellie mumbled.

"You love looking at my big bum" Harry said smugly as Kate and Ellie left the carriage.

Her mother swatted Harry's arm. "Harry, you can't say that to your future Queen" she cheeked.

"Hey, only Granny is allowed to use the Queen card" he said whilst adjusting his white beret.

"She let us borrow it, just for the big occasions" her mother said sweetly.

Harry raised his eyebrow. "This is a big occasion?" he asked incredulously.