Chapter Thirty Nine - Cashing In

Their journey's end was delayed as they approached, stuck in a line of cars that were parking outside the lavish hotel, depositing their passengers and then driving off. Normally the delay would make her more nervous and increasingly agitated, but not when Harry was next to her. He liked to make a game out of the pre-engagement preparation, the last moments they had in private before stepping out into the public gaze.

It was something he started doing with his army buddies before a night out, or so he said. She suspected it actually came from playing Call of Duty with his brother and meticulously planning as they stared at their mission objectives screen.

"Em honey, focus. We need our head in the game here" Harry rubbed her leg, more urgently than earlier in the day when he had been much, much more sensual.

She thought about telling him to button it, that it wasn't a game. She always wanted to, but he was too cute when he did it. She knew he was doing it for her, but in a way it was helping him as well.

"Sorry, boss. I'm with you." she responded, biting back a laugh.

"Okay" Harry dabbed at the tablet that sat on his legs. "Tonight we have five active targets in the vicinity, each with huge payloads ready for extraction."

He scrolled through their 'targets', wealthy businessmen with money to spend. "Rich Verhosen is in the building and he can be a little handsy with the ladies. I'll handle him."

She smiled at him, appreciating the gesture. The last time she'd been in a room with Rich Verhosen, the man couldn't keep his hands to himself, despite her position as a member of the royal family. Harry would handle him while she worked on the more cunning targets, and their usual plan of action would fall into place.

Both of them had charities that needed funding, that was their aim for the evening. Their primary objective as Harry would say. It may have been a fancy dinner where Harry would present an award and honour somebody, but it was also a source of money that their patronages desperately needed.

She'd done it many times in the past, convincing the wealthy to part with their money and invest in the things she believed in, whether it was a charity project or even a film she was working on, she had the experience in her back pocket safe and sound.

Their car finally came to a halt, the red carpet leading into the hotel visible through their blacked out windows, guards and reporters lining either side. She geared herself up, turning in her chair to face the door.

"Ready for breach?" he asked her. "Ready"

The car door was opened for them, they practically rushed out they were so excited. "Breaching, breaching!"

Her high heels dug into the carpet, her dress swishing around her ankles as she found her footing, "We are boots on the ground, over" she whispered to Harry.

"Roger that, we are Alpha Mike" he replied, grinning playfully at her.

He put his hand gently on the small of her back, guiding her way down the red carpet. That was always the way they ended up walking when it was Harry's night, he'd be the one to take the leading role with her at his side. On other nights when it was her work on display, her charities taking the focus, she'd hold his hand and practically lead him like a puppy dog. And she knew how much he liked staring at her rear when they did that.

Red carpets had a different feel to them these days, the years after her marriage. Before that they were more daunting, knowing she'd have to stop every so often and pose for the cameras. All the hours of work she'd put in to getting ready for an awards show or film screening would be scrutinised on that carpet, but she had to let them. The difference now always amazed her, knowing that as soon as her heels hit the carpet she didn't have to stop for anybody except those who she was supposed to be meeting, and of course the door too.