Chapter Fifty Two - Different Expectations

Fast Forward, three years later...

Thinking back to that night at Godwick was always something that Ellie suffered through whenever they made the trip up to Amner Hall, as they did every summer. Viola's mansion had become much more obvious over the last few years, whereas before Ellie had no idea it even existed. She would have preferred things had stayed that way, but the Watts-Digbys had cut down a few trees and heightened a couple of the mansions towers on their estate to make sure it was always visible from the windows of Amner Hall.

"No, it's not been demolished yet." A voice called out behind her.

"If we raised that security hut up a floor, it would just about block out Godwick." She said back.

Anna pulled Ellie back from the window and steadied her in the centre of the bedroom, then began tying the sash on the back of her dress into a neat bow. "That would be petty, honey, but I imagine the boys would enjoy the extra space."

Ellie continued gazing towards the window. Every time she looked outside, it felt like Godwick grew closer and closer, like Viola was still trying to get her. "Maybe if we planted some new trees, we could go back to pretending it didn't exist."

"Come on." Anna turned her around again so she wasn't looking towards the window. When Ellie tried to glance over her shoulder, Anna grabbed her chin and turned her head to face her. "At least one good thing came out of your evening there."

Ellie rolled her eyes, "Yes, I know, you were oh so heroic quitting your terrible job to come work for me."

"Technically I work for the family, but yes." Anna removed Ellie's hair from its clips, letting it flow down her back in soft curls. "But you've now got your own personal maid."

"You know you're more than that to me." Ellie frowned at her.

Anna blushed at her, smiling back. "I know. Who else could hold all your secrets hm?"

"Alex"

"Well, true, I suppose. But she doesn't do your washing as well, does she?"

"She washed my mug once." Ellie giggled. Having Anna around had improved her self-esteem immeasurably, allowing her to come into her own. She was like a second mother, a close confidante and a guiding influence, especially when everyone else who Ellie could share such a bond with was part of the Royal family.

Anna checked Ellie's fingernails once again. She'd been with her all morning getting her ready and making sure she looked pristine. "Do you hear from the Watts-Digbys often?" she asked.

"Not me. I know we get invitations to parties at Godwick all the time, but Mum pretends we don't know that."

"She's protecting you."

"Yeah and she despises Viola."

"Don't we all."

"Do you hear from Abigail?" Ellie asked, somewhat out of the blue. She had been Anna's charge when she worked at Godwick Park House, up until she had run away. From what Ellie could tell, she and Abigail were a lot alike, which she suspected was a big reason why Anna enjoyed her company so much.

Anna arranged Ellie's hair neatly and checked on her discreet makeup, but the question caused her fingers to pause and she looked off to the side, thinking for a moment. "I get a letter from her every now and then. She's doing fine. Why do you ask?"

"Was just thinking, she might want to come to the party? You could invite her."

"Abby at this fancy party? I don't think so."