Chapter Eleven - Escape Plan Delta

As the car came to a stop outside their destination, Kate quickly reached across to Ellie and held her gently by the arm.

"Ben, give us a minute" Kate rushed. Ben nodded at her in the rear view mirror and remained in his seat. The car doors remained closed, but with the engine off the calls of the waiting public and media were suddenly much clearer.

"Now remember Ellie, if anyone asks about the balcony incident, just tell them you were only playing around with your cousins" her mother advised.

Ellie gave her a confused look, "But Mum, that's exactly what it was"

Kate gave her a knowing smile, "I know that sweetheart but the world doesn't, you haven't been out in public for a few days and the media have come up with all these stupid theories"

"You need to correct them, honey" Will added.

"Tell them how stupid they are and how you'll have them all fired" Alex grinned wickedly, "Oh, go on! Please say that!"

"I really want to..." Ellie admitted.

"Eleanor...." Her mother said tiredly. Both her parents gave her a look that's only purpose was to remind her that she was a British Princess.

Why can't they figure it out for themselves? Why can't they all just agree it was kids having fun instead of making up stupid stories? Why do they need an eleven year old girl to teach them some common sense?

It would be easy to say that she was just playing around with Savannah and Izzy, but being reminded of how stupid the press could be was what irritated her. If she mentioned one little thing about Savannah being very pushy and eager on the balcony, her cousin would be labelled a big bully in the papers the next day. Ellie would have to mind her tongue, in case someone used her quotes to make their wild stories look even more official.

"I'll be careful Mum, Dad, I promise" she said.

Will nodded towards Ben, and soon enough he was out of the car, walking to their door and holding it open for them to step out. The four of them remained seated for a few moments, gathering themselves and looking at each other to figure out if they were ready.

"Remember, it's only an hour, that's all" Kate smiled reassuringly at Ellie and her sister before making her way out of the car first, and was accompanied by loud cheers and the immediate clicking of a thousand cameras.

Ellie felt something tugging at her to stay in the car, to stay on the comfortable seats and behind the blacked out windows, but she knew she had to get out. I'm here for Mum and Dad, she reminded herself.

"Are you up for this sweetheart?" Will asked her as Alex left the car.

"Of course Dad" Ellie nodded and followed her sister out. Ben gave her a helping hand as she planted her feet on the ground.

"Good luck Ellie" he whispered to her.

She gave him a thankful smile, unable to focus enough to give him any more of a reply. The crowds of people that had gathered to see her family's latest public appearance were screaming at the top of their lungs, desperately trying to get her attention. The frantic flashing and clicking of the cameras that had started when Kate left the car were now focused on all four of them, but Ellie couldn't help but feel like they were all focused on her. I hope I'm not the only one that feels that way.

Being under the spotlight had a way of making her feel like she was all alone when she stood out in the open, as if her family was nowhere in sight. Because of this, Will and Kate always made sure to keep their daughters huddled close together when they were out in public, just to remind them that they were not alone.