Chapter 14

2 Weeks Later

Violet's POV

"Hey Violet," Luke greets, smiling widely at me, "How have you been with this whole situation?" I stare at him in horror. How does he know? He can't know. I didn't tell anyone. "With Barry being in rehab."

I sign in relief, "Oh, um, okay, I guess. Barry's doing better."

"I know," he assures me, "I just wanted to check up on you. Your mum and dad said that you're acting kind of off lately, but that you won't talk to them. They're worried because you're always locked up in your room now. They just want to make sure you're okay."

"I'm fine," I choke out, sitting on my hands to hide how badly they're trembling, "I'm good. I'm happy."

"If you say so," he mutters, clearly unconvinced. I nod, hoping he'll just leave me alone. Luke stands up and leaves without another word. I release the breath I had been holding in and lean back slightly.

"Violet!" A new voice screams loudly. I stiffen up again and force a smile onto my face.

"Hey Pipe-"

"Will asked me to the dance!" She whisper-yells, gripping my arm. I yank it out of her grasp, not wanting to be touched at all. Piper sends me a confused look.

I swallow the bile that was rising in my throat, "That's awesome, Pipes! I'm so happy for you. But isn't the dance another three months away?"

"Three months, two weeks, and four days actually," she corrects, "but he still asked me! Has Tyler asked you yet? We should totally double date." I try not to wince at the sound of his name.

"He hasn't asked me yet, bu-"

"I'm sure he will," Piper assures me, grabbing my arm again, "He still has plenty of time to ask. We'll need to go shopping though. I'll know the theme of the dance in advance because I'm on the student council, bu-"

"Girls!" Dad calls, sticking his head in the living room, "Dinner is ready." I yank my arm out of Piper's grip again and stand up. My skin feels disgusting again as memories of that night roll through my head. I need a shower.

"Come on, Vi," the older girl tells me.

I shake my head no, moving closer to the staircase, "I'm not really hungry. I had a big lunch earlier. I'll eat later."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah," I say urgently before I take off running upstairs. I get to my bedroom and slam the door shut. I lock it immediately and go to my bathroom. I start to pull my shirt off as it hits me. I missed my period. I sink down to the ground, my legs hitting the cold tile. No. Not this. I've suffered enough. Not this too. I pull up the end of my shirt, starting at my stomach. Nothing. Of course nothing. I need a pregnancy test. I slowly stand back up and leave the bathroom. I sneak out of my room and down the hall to my parents' bedroom. I silently go into their bathroom and take a test from mum's supply. I rush back to my room, yearning for that shower even more now.

~

Forty-five minutes later I turn off the scalding hot water. I grab my towel and roughly dry off my body, before I pull my robe on. Tears run down my cheeks as I make my way over to the sink to check the test. I grab it and stare at the result, not wanting to put this off at all.

Two lines. I grab the box again to double check the meaning of the symbols. One line means negative, two lines means positive. It's positive. I'm pregnant. A sob escapes my lips. I drop the test back onto the counter and sink down to the floor. My body curls into fetal position as I sob into my sleeve, struggling to catch my breath.