Chapter 22

Rick and Barbara stood right in front of Maxwell Lord. He was sitting in a folding chair with his hands bound behind him. The room we decided to put him in was secluded and hand a single bulb overhead that cast shadows around the room.

I almost couldn't keep the smile off my face when I saw him here. Finally. We finally got him.

"We know Habitum works for you." Barbara stated with a steady glare.

"Stop giving us information we already know!" Rick yelled grabbing the back of his neck.

Maxwell Lord just looked up at him and shook his head. To Rick it was a sign that he wasn't going to speak, but to me it was him saying we didn't understand. Rick pushed him back as he stood up straight and looked over at me. He gave me this look as if to say "You think you can do anything?".

"You went to Ireland." I started, walking closer to Maxwell. "Who were you running away from? Because I know it wasn't us."

He looked up at me and smiled, "Finally someone who knows what they're saying."

I waited for him to continue and I started to feel impatient.

"Habitum came to me, asking for my help. He said he needed parts. Parts for what? Well, at the time I didn't know. All he told me was that it was the start to making every person on our world even. So that the people like me, who work their butts off to get somewhere, don't have to deal with metahumans. Metahumans." He said that last word like it was venom that he was spitting out of his mouth.

"Extraordinary people who get "given" special abilities. More like a 'get out of jail free' card. They don't deserve the fame and fortune they get. People like me do. People who spend all their lives learning and studying, hoping to one day get their big break. But when they do it's just undermined by superheroes who prance around the city doing 'good works'."

My eyes widened at his words as it all started to make sense.

"So you blindly started funding Habitum." I said looking right at Maxwell, who wouldn't make eye contact with me.

"Yes, he soon started treating me like his boss. When I found out what he was building...I-it was too late to stop now."

"Is that why you ran away?" Rick asked suddenly.

"No." Maxwell Lord said with a dark chuckle.

"I ran away because I found out I wasn't the only person Habitum was working for."

I nodded my head in understanding, already aware Habitum worked for someone bigger.

"What?" Barbara questioned, giving Rick and I confused looks.

"Habitum works for someone off world. We suspect Durla." I explained.

"Do you know?" Rick asked Maxwell Lord.

"Nope." He said laughing.

"Thought it would be smarter if I knew as little information as possible."

I nodded my head in understanding, glad we were getting somewhere.

Barbara stood up and started towards the door.

"I'm going to get Br-Batman in here." She said almost slipping his name. To be honest Batman didn't really do hero work anyways.

Maxwell snorted saying, "Go ahead Mr. Wayne isn't fooling anyone." Before leaning back sighing in fake comfort.

"So you know nothing about where Habitum's from?" I asked crossing my fingers and hoping we could get more information.

"I know I've been making this easy for you guys, but I don't know everything." Maxwell said shrugging as best he could with tied hands.