Chapter 17

Big iron gates blocked my way into Arkham. The shadow of the two metal gates was monstrous as I walked towards the dark building. It had an evil aroma that lead up to the steel cages that enclosed the prison. I flew over the gates quickly and soundlessly. The warden wasn't aware of my visit, but would be soon enough.

I entered the doors to the prison and was met by two guards lifting guns at me.

"You know those are useless, right?" I asked as I walked past them.

"Um, ma'am?" One of the guards spoke into his shoulder.

"What is it?" A stern voice replied.

"We have a, uh...visitor." I continued my way towards the elevator, confidence matching my every step. I pushed the down button and waited for the elevator to arrive. The two doors opened and I stepped on. Two guards were already on the elevator and both put their hands on their holsters.

"When will they ever learn." I muttered once they stepped off. I kept going down to the very bottom level. Usually once you reached this level you could hear the laughter from the elevator. It would echo along the walls and you would have no idea where it's coming from. But this time no laughter was heard.

"I'm here to see the Joker." I said to the guard posted in front of the door.

"I wasn't told." He said reaching towards his holster.

"Are you freaking kidding me." I hissed walking past him.

"Well, you just were." I said opening the door to the hallway before the Joker's holding cell. Along the wall were ten more guards who guarded the villain inside. I walked down the hall and each guard seemed to size me up. Their hands twitched to grab their gun for some sort of security. Sadly, I couldn't blame them considering the anti-heroes running around "saving" people. I was trusting one right now. I didn't know what it was that got me to trust him. Maybe because I was running out of ideas, or he seemed to be on the good side, or maybe because he seemed familiar. I don't know what is was exactly that convinced me to trust him and visit Bruce's worst enemy.

I got to the door before the Joker's cell and turned towards the guard with the key.

"The key, please?" I asked politely as I looked down at him.

"And why should I do that." He sneered glaring at me.

"There are two ways we could do this. You could use the key and open it, or I could open it myself. The latter is very messy." Again the glare appeared and his nostrils flared.

"Fine," he hissed opening the door. I pushed it open and there he sat pathetically.

"I don't enjoy have uninvited guests." He said still not looking at me.

"I really don't think you're in the place to make requests."

"The whole world is blinded. They don't know anything."

"That's why I'm here. You know something." I raised an accusing eyebrow at him and he finally looked at me. I expected him to say something but all he did was laugh. It echoed around the small room and I felt like it was consuming me as it reverberated at all sides.

Not being able to take it anymore, I walked up the the table he was sitting at and slammed my hands down.

"You made a deal with Habitum and I want to know what it is!" Joker was my last hope. I never thought those words would even be possible. But I was running out options. Ideas. Hope. His laughing stopped and he scowled at me.

"You are nothing compared to Superman." He spit. I glared at him and stood up straight again.

"I need to know what Habitum is planning."