Chapter 20

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's Rick. Are you busy?"

"Yes."

"C'mon I need your help."

"Ughhhh...fine, I guess. Just tell me what your 'oh-so-important' problem is."

"You say problem as if it's singular and there's one, when in reality it's plural."

"Rick, hurry it up here."

"Sorry, sorry," Rick paused to gather his thoughts, "that feeling is coming back."

"Dude you suck at being specific. What feeling?"

"The, you know..."

"I know I'm fast but never in the thinking department."

"Well, at least you admit it."

"C'mon Rick speed it up!"

"The feeling that my attraction for Chris is stronger than the need to keep her safe. That I should get back together with her instead of helping her."

"I see," he finally said after a long pause, that made Rick nervous. "Do you ever wonder if your method of 'keeping her safe' isn't exactly ideal?"

"Well, of course it is. Otherwise she'd be in danger like every other single person I've let into my life."

"Rick, this is Chris we're talking about. The one who can't get hurt by bullets, the one with heat vision. Maybe she's capable of taking care of herself."

"Wow, you actually just gave me good advice."

"I'm hurt Rick, truly hurt."

Rick put the phone away from his ear and gathered his thoughts. He didn't even know why he called. Both of them knew the answer, he should just admit to Chris why he broke up with her. As always, the feeling that what he did was for the best appeared making him wonder if he should just forget about his feelings for her.

"You still there?"

Rick quickly put the phone back to his ear and knew what he had to do.

"Yeah, sorry."

"You're apologetic today."

"Whatever." Rick muttered already wanting to end the call.

"So, you gonna tell the lovely Chris?"

"You have a wife you know."

"Yes, yes, now answer my question."

"I think so. When all of this blows over though. When Habitum is defeated and Joker is in prison again."

"Look at you the optimist using 'when' not 'if'."

"Anywayyyyys, I'll talk to you later." Rick said ready to stop talking to the dimwit.

"Alright su-"

Rick didn't hear the rest of his sentence because he was focused on the noise he heard behind him. He turned around, phone still to his ear, and saw someone dart back behind the wall. He knew they had been listening to his conversation and were doing a poor job of it.

"I gotta go Walls." He whispered, cutting him off mid-sentence and hanging up.

Rick slowly walked along the wall trying to make no noise as his feet landed on the gravel outside. He thought he would be safe to make the call outside, but guess not.

He finally reached the end of the wall and peeked around the corner to find a person flat against the wall.

"Chris..." was all he muttered as she slowly turned her head towards him, with a grimace evident on her beautiful face.

"Oh Rick, I was just taking an evening stroll, what've you been up to?"