Chapter 10

"You talked to Bruce!" I exclaimed, furious at Rick.

"Yes." Rick said acting as if he didn't care. I gave him an incredulous look.

"Mark isn't Habitum." I said slowly glaring at Rick. Rick lifted up his eyebrows and stared at me like I was a little child.

"Well, all the possible clues leading up to that conclusion say otherwise."

"Why would you tell Bruce?"

"Precautions." Was all he said and turned around. I placed my hand on his shoulder and flew him back around. "What?"

"Precautions? That's all you have to say? Now Mark is going to have Bruce following like a hawk wherever he goes and not letting him leave Mount Justice."

"He shouldn't have to anyways. Mark lives here, where else is he gonna go?"

"You don't know anything." I stated referring to Mark's family circumstances. With Katherine in the hospital he needed to leave.

"That's the problem." Rick said backing away.

"Please Rick, just tell Bruce you were wrong."

"Don't worry, I don't have to." I gave him a questioning look and he continued, "He didn't believe me anyway. Said I have to prove it to him. Get more facts." Rick turned around left with that thought. I shook my head and glared at his retreating figure, when Dick stepped in front of me. I did a double take, forgetting for a moment that it was Rick's doppelgänger.

"What?" I asked confused. He smiled and pulled me to the wall.

"I told you I have an idea." I perked up at his words.

"An idea that includes getting revenge on Rick." He nodded and shrugged at the same time.

"An idea that will get revenge and open his eyes to his obvious feelings for you." I gave Dick a flat look. Neither of us had feelings for each other. "Be in denial all you want, but I know you still harbor some feeling a for him. He is quite good looking if I may say."

"No, you may not." I said with an eye roll. After thinking about for awhile I decided to see what he wanted to suggest.

"What's you idea?"

"To make him jealous." Make Rick jealous? In my mind that was unheard of. I didn't even know he was capable of feeling that emotion. I raised an eyebrow as if to say, "How?" Dick lifted up one finger and I sighed. "My amazing idea is to pretend that we share the feelings you and him share."

"So fake date? That wouldn't work. Rick knows I wouldn't date a guy who is only going to be here for a short period of time. He would see right through our lie."

"We wouldn't go as far as actually dating. Just shameless flirting in front of him."

"I can't afford to waste time doing this. We already have Habitum and Red Hood." Dick folded his arms.

"I know you want Rick to know how you feel."

"And how do I feel?" I asked leaning against the wall.

"Forgotten, ignored, and vulnerable."

"I do not!" I exclaimed insulted. He gave me a knowing look and I folded my arms.

"C'mon just till we've figured out a way for us to get home. After that we'll stop."

"I just...we have too much going on right now." I answered shaking my head.

I turned and went to walk away, when Dick said, "Tell me if you change your mind." I decided to keep walking and made my way into a quiet kitchen. The only person in there was Mark making a sandwich.

"Hey." He greeted putting the cheese away.

"Hey." I replied with a sigh as I sat down on one of the bar stools. I put my head down and groaned.

"Long day?" Mark asked taking a bite out of his tasty looking sandwich.

"Yeah, something like that."

"What's wrong." He said taking a seat beside me. He placed the sandwich on a plate in front of him and I couldn't help but stare.

I want that sandwich.

"Chris?"

"Huh? Oh sorry." I paused and contemplated on what to say next. "I guess I just feel like so much is going on right now and we don't have answers to anything. My mind just feels like exploding and I don't know what to do." Mark nodded and sat there with a thoughtful expression on his face.

"Well I bet you can and will get through this. Because I know you have been through a lot and are strong. And I don't just mean physically."

I shook my head and said, "How could you possibly know that. No offense, but you don't really know me that well." Mark chuckled at that and I looked at him confused.

"Can you keep a secret?" He asked and I nodded slowly, "When I absorb people's powers I get a little more than their abilities. I also get a few of their memories." I gave him a wide-eyed stare and felt a little violated.

"So you...then what," I pursed my lips and thought for a bit, "What memories did you get from me?"

After a few seconds of painful silence, Mark said, "There were two prominent ones, but the rest are kinda hazy now. The first one is at a bowling alley and you're quite a bit younger. Eleven or twelve? And you went to go bowl, but the ball flew out of your hands and crossed over a bunch of lanes and-"

"You don't need to finish that." I muttered in embarrassment and covered my face with my hands. Mark chuckled and removed my hands.

"The second one seems more recent. You were in a dark alley and you were hovering over someone. I didn't recognize him and he was saying something to you. I don't remember what it was. The main thing I remember was when someone pulled you away and I could see the guys body. He had a knife in his chest."

"Dillon." I whispered not wanting to relive that moment. So many times I tried to tell myself that it wasn't my fault and erase that moment from my memory. It probably wasn't the best way to handle the situation, but it was the only way I could.

"Sorry, for bringing that up." Mark said placing his hand on mine. He gave it a reassuring squeeze.

"No, I asked you." I said shaking my head.

We again landed in silence and I used that time to think about that crazy time in my life.

Then Mark said, "That's how I knew you were strong. From the memory.

"That's all I needed."

Those last words reminded me of my last encounter with Habitum. I got up from the stool and slipped my hand out from under Mark's.

"Thanks Mark, that means a lot to me." I said forcing a small smile on to my lips. With that said I left the quiet kitchen and walked into a noisy living room. I leaned up against the cold wall and couldn't help, but replay Rick's words from earlier in my head.

  Well, all the possible clues leading up to that conclusion say otherwise.