A Royal Announcement

The television flicked off, startling her out of her trance, "August, is that true? Did King Marcus have an heir?"

August was dressed in a deep red suit, his hair like flames, "It's best not to have that conversation in this situation. Now come along we have to go."

Siberia stood, her skirts flowing around her while the girls straightened the layers and August straightened his tie, his anxiety rolling off in waves. The tension in the room was palpable, much more so than the first night. What Riker had said about the King changing the rules for his own satisfaction had been validated, and the possibility of Siberia dying became very real. They walked out in silence, her heels clicking along the marble of the floor, and then softening as they hit the carpet.

August cleared his throat as they reached the bottom level of the palace, heading down to the prep room she was in earlier that day. "Siberia, whatever happens next...please always remember that I love you like a daughter. I have raised you since you were a child, trained you to be the incredible wolf that you are, and I am incredibly proud of you."

Siberia listened to his heartbeat to see if perhaps he was lying to settle her nerves as they went in for the pairing, it remained steady, giving way to the truth. She remained silent, swallowing past the knot in her throat. She was an askar, nothing more than that. However lately it appeared that only she remembered that. She could scent the change in his demeanor, the acrid tint of anxiety under his bright citrus scent.

As they neared the prep room, she noticed a young wide eyed servant girl hesitating near the door. It was clear that she was confused as she looked down into the tablet in her hands and up at the number on the door.

"Can I help you?" August's voice echoed off the hallway.

The girl jumped, startled at her sudden company, "Lord Windtree? My apologies sir, I was just coming to collect you and couldn't find you. I was beginning to wonder if I had the wrong room."

"I was running a little late, wardrobe disaster. Are the others lined up already?" August smiled at the young maid.

Siberia could hear the fluttering heartbeat of the maid as she glanced at Siberia before bowing in respect to August. Her scent tickled the wolf's nose, a Halfling slave that feared the shifter. Siberia let out a throaty chuckle, tilting her head to the side, "There's no need to fear me, Halfling. I won't hurt you."

The maid's eyes flicked from Siberia to August, "Lord Windtree, I hope I haven't offended you or your Askar. I just..."

August clicked his tongue, "Hush child. She's just toying with you. Now am I fashionably late or just plain late?"

She shook her head, fair blond hair falling in her face "Not too late sir, we are still attempting to track down the Trainers of the deceased Askars so that they may be honored tonight. The King also has a grand announcement to make, it's why he is adamant that everyone be present before he begins the second pairing."

August shared a look with Siberia, "It would make sense as to why neither one of my cousins are here escorting me tonight. Would it have anything to do with that nonsense the Greenland King is spouting?"

The maid led them down the corridor and up to the arena tunnel, "I have no idea sir. None of us maids do. The only thing we know is that it is of great importance, as both of the King's personal assistants have been occupied since the second match, and the King himself has not been at the last four matches."