-Unkept Promises-

We now had some random radio station blaring through the speakers to keep Scott from trying to speak to me again as we drove -at a relatively safe speed- down the dirt road and towards some safe house only Scott knew off. I had rolled my eyes at that and went straight to ignoring him as he gave Cole directions for how to get there. He'd tried to explain again, but I just turned up the radio and ignored him. 

We were all silent when I felt my stomach grumble, but luckily no one could hear it with the loud music. I sat still, not wanting to really eat with me being upset still, I was scared I'd make myself sick. That is until it kept grumbling, so much it got to the point that I huffed and turned down the radio, looking over to Cole, completely ignoring Scott's existence (like he'd done to me when his family and his Monica showed up) and complained. "I'm hungry." I pouted like a 5 year old. 

Cole chuckled and glanced at some of the shops and buildings we were passing for somewhere to eat. "How does... burgers sound?" he asked, making the appropriate turns to get us to the burger joint. 

"Just how I'd imagined heaven to sound." I grinned, waiting until he put the Jeep in park before unbuckling myself and jumping from the elevated Jeep and running to Cole's side before Scott could try to corner me again. We rushed inside to place our orders and left Scott to pay as we went to find seats. 

I sat on one side of a booth, placing Cole's giant jacket he'd lent me to sleep under beside me, forcing Cole to sit across from me and Scott diagonal from me. I was disappointed when Cold told me we couldn't make him sit at a separate table, but I was for sure going to make sure he wasn't beside me or right across from me. 

When Scott arrived, he didn't look happy with where the only seat was left at, but still took his seat and placed the tent with our order number on our table. We sat in silence for a while, and when our food came, we dug in to occupy our mouths from having to talk. 

Scott was the first one done, and when he returned from dumping his trash he cut our silence short. "We're going to get there within the next two days, so we'll stop for supplies just before we arrive. Make a short list of things you both will need and we'll be sure to have it when we stop. I ordered the same burgers you ordered to be ready when we leave to take with us. They won't be fresh but it will stop us from having to make another stop." He explained, all business. 

"Well I'm sorry for interrupting your little trip but I wasn't going to let my grumbling stomach eat me alive any more than it already did." I muttered, mouth full of food when I said it, making both guys raise their eyebrows at me. "What?" 

"I'll be driving the rest of the way, since I've seen Cole doze off three times behind the wheel. You need your rest, so you can stretch out-" Scott began, trying to weasel his way to sit beside me and force me to listen to his excuses. 

"In the passenger seat, while Mae stretches out in the back." Cole cut him off, offering me a small smile and wink. 

"Sounds good to me." I shrugged, taking another unladylike bite from the best burger ever. 

Scott sighed, but by now he knew better than to try to argue. He knew where he stood with us, and that he was the outsider now after how much he'd hurt me. "Fine, just finish your food so we can get out of here and back on the road." he shook his head and rose to go get our food he'd ordered. 

"I'll go help with the food, take your time." Cole spoke softer, offering me a reassuring smile. I nodded and watched them both go back and forth as they waited for the second order of food. 

I soon realized I didn't have to rush or take my time, because I was done in the next minute. Shrugging, I rose to throw my trash away and collect Cole's jacket before standing beside Cole as we waited for the order. Cole took the food to hold in the front seat with him while I took hold of the drinks Scott had ordered to hold in the back seat with me. 

We got to the Jeep and Cole helped me into the back seat, helping me fix the drinks so they wouldn't tip over and spill before climbing in himself. He immediately fixed the seat to sit back and get a good nap in. I draped his jacket over him, laughing when he smiled and said, "Thanks, Mom." before his snores filled the Jeep. 

I was sat behind Scott and rested my head on the door above the window that was rolled down, watching the tall grass sway and feeling the breeze on my face. I closed my eyes and almost fell asleep, but his voice stopped  me. 

"I never meant to hurt you, Mae." he said so softly I'd almost missed it. 

"No, I don't think you did, Scott. But you shouldn't have made promises you couldn't keep." I told him calmly, tired of the childish antics I had been using before now. I was done with it all. 

"I really do love you, Mae. And I know-" he began, but I closed my eyes to stop the tears for coming forward. 

"Don't." I whispered loud enough for him to hear and stop his continuous torture to my heart. I wasn't sure how much more the poor thing could handle. Not much right now while the wounds were still fresh. 

"I really am sorry, Mae. I hope one day you could forgive me." he spoke softly back, and I just stayed quiet, watching the grass fly past. 

************************************

Edited