-Secrets Revealed, and Added Confusion-

(Mae's POV)

Scott pulled the truck up to an abandoned lake  and ran to my side, opening my door for me as he allowed me out before closing and locking the doors. He took my hand and lead us to the edge of the lake where we took our seat silence. We were like this for quite some time, looking around at the life surrounding us and listening to nature's songs and sounds before Scott spoke up. 

"I was hired by your family to protect you. Apparently, you old boyfriend had a record before he started dating you. He was found guilty of murdering his sister at the age of 12, did about 6 years in prison due to him being a juvenile at the time, and him pleading that it was an accident. To sum it up, your parents were worried that you were in danger -which proved to be true- and hired my men and I to keep you and your family safe at all times." Scott told me, looking off in the distance. 

"I got that part, but why did you seem so distant after the doctor proclaimed me to be in pretty okay shape? Why did you seem so eager to leave me?" I asked, looking right at him.

He sighed, running his thumb over the outside of my palm. "Because your parents wouldn't have allowed us to be together no matter what." He announced. I was about to tell him they were the ones that went out looking for him for me, but he shook his head and said, "For you they would have made it seem as if they'd allow us together despite our differences, but they would have sabotaged our relationship until you couldn't even bare to be part of a single thing involving me." he sighed looking down at his lap, avoiding eye contact with me. "I had to get away from there and find a way to get you back to me." he added.

"Cole said you had risked enough already staying at the hospital for as long as you did. What does that mean?" I asked. 

"Robert's men had been spotted in an area nearby and we were worried you'd be found and they'd take you back and  hurt you more. My men had wanted me to leave you with your family and a couple of soldiers of mine while I handled the Robert situation, but I'd refused. I couldn't just leave you in the state you were in. So when you were a hell of a lot more responsive, " to this I laughed softly, making him chuckle and smile at me, before continuing, "I decided you were going to be okay enough to leave you in the hands of your family, as well as a couple of my guards for extra precaution. When everyone was gone or asleep, I sent Cole in to get you, knowing fully well it wouldn't be long until Robert got to you if I waited too long. I was just trying to do what was best for your safety." he finished.

"One more question," he nodded, allowing me to ask away. "Okay, so when you were waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs, how did the gunman get there?" I asked cautiously, knowing it was a sensitive subject still. I knew he blamed himself, no matter how much I tried to convince him to do otherwise.

Scott dropped his head in what seemed to be shame, shaking it a little before answering. "I had been waiting for you, but then one of the guys called me over to get my opinion on some stupid picture they were arguing about, and then I heard the gunshot. I knocked out the gunman before going to our room, but I was told he escaped in the panic that followed due to the ambush that happened. That gunshot seemed to be a signal to have the other men to attack the border and house. I'm sorry-" 

I lightly slapped his arm and pointed my index finger at him, "No more apologizing for stupid things you had no control over." I demanded.

Scott lightly chuckled as he pulled us onto the grass so we were lying down, and had my head resting on his chest as we just lay there. Still, calm, content. 

"I've told you I love you today right?" he suddenly asked. 

"Yeah, and I said I love you too." I laughed a little, looking up at him.