Epilogue

November 21st:

"Are you doing okay? Do you need me to get you anything, darling?" Thomas's voice is sweet and encouraging as he kneels at my bedside, but honestly all I want to do is strangle him with my IV. It's not like me, honestly, and I know that it's not actually his fault, but just look at him! Completely fit and healthy without anything trying to rip out of his body.

"No offense, sperm donor, but leave this to me." Fiona's voice booms in my delivery room as her and my mother clamber in holding bags full of stuff that I can't yet identify.

"Fiona don't be so rude," my mother quips "but honestly, Thomas. She'll be in labor for a while. Twins are a nightmare. Why don't you go talk to Isaac and Howard." I can see just how badly Thomas doesn't want to leave my side, but we all know that it's going to be several hours before our babies are born.

"I'll be fine, sweetie. If I need anything I'll call you," I tell Thomas in an attempt to soothe his worries. He smiles down at me and it fills my heart with warmth, almost making me forget the pain my body keeps putting me through.

"Alright, darling. I'm going to go get a coffee. I'll be right outside if you need anything." Thomas kisses my slightly sweaty forehead and I wave him goodbye. As soon as he's out of the room my mother turns to me.

"My goodness I love that man." She shakes her head and starts pulling pillows, snacks, and magazines out of her bag. "He's so attentive and caring. You really did good, both of you did. Fiona please show me the ring again!" My Mom has stars in her eyes as she fauns over Fiona and I. Fiona sticks her manicured left hand out for my mother to see, her vibrant red nails contrasting against her soft pale skin.

"It's so beautiful!" My Mom swoons, taking in the beautiful white gold and single large diamond. The design is simple and elegant, and makes Fiona's finger look like a princes.

Fiona smiles brightly, happy for any chance to show off her pretty new ornament. It's poetic actually, we were all at dinner together to celebrate my book launching and Isaac was going to propose. As soon as he dropped to one knee my water broke, a whole week late I might add.

There's was a lot of freaking out and crying for several minutes before we all got our bearings. It's only right though isn't it?. I was proposed to on the night Fiona gave birth too.

Technically.

"So much is happening today, Soph. I can barely breathe!" Fiona says as she fans herself, going to pull a water bottle out of her purse. I grin from my bedside. Fionas dark hair is still in perfect ringlets and her eyes are lined with black liner. There's black wet streaks in some spots where she had been crying but otherwise she looks absolutely stunning. Ruby is doing wonderful, she's almost one year now and she's already so smart. I pity the man that tries to tame that little girl when she's older. She's already hell in high diapers.

"I know. I think all of the excitement is what sent me into labor!" I say with a laugh. My mom walks over and pats my head with a cool rag. "You up for this baby girl?" She asks me and I snort. "You mean it's optional? I can just hold it in like the need to pee?" My Mom and Fiona laugh and shake their heads.

"If only, sweetie." My Mom sighs "I just want to know if you're ready. You said no epidural so I'm thinking you're crazy." I put a reassuring hand on my moms arm. I don't know why but I really want to try to do all of this natural. They say it's an amazing experience if you can tolerate it.

"I'm going to be fine mom, I think Fiona took enough pain killers for the both of us on Ruby's due date anyways."

We settle into playful banter as the nurses and doctors come in to check my fluids and dilation. Gabbie finally arrives and my girls walk me through my contractions and let me complain as much as I want. Honestly, it's not quite as bad as Fiona made it seem, but I'm not about to tell her that.