T W E N T Y O N E

Start from the beginning

"Jag kommer aldrig att förlora en kamp med syfte eftersom ett visst hot hotade mig [I will never lose a fight on purpose because some gang threatened me]," Donovan said. "I guess you'll have to lose your precious bet."

"We know about the girl, Donovan," Hitachi said, his hands behind his back as he walked around the room. "We killed her mother. We have kept tabs on her; we know everything about her. We even know that she worked as your personal medical team. A simple snap of my fingers and she will be dead."

Donovan's jaw clenched tightly and he fought the urge to just blast the old man in the face, right here, right now. "She means nothing to me."

"Oh?" Hitachi chuckled. "I doubt that, Mr. Ander. It is your choice, either you lose tonight or she dies, just like her whore of a mother."

With that, he left and Donovan stood there for a moment, still with rage, until he exploded and ripped the TV from the wall, tipped the bed over, threw stuff around and collapsed.

It was pointless to push her away.

* * * * *

LINA

To pass the time until I had to go to bed, I turned the TV on. Too tired to even focus, I left it on the channel it was on and tried to keep my eyes open and the volume down.

Just stay awake for twenty more minutes and then go to bed.

"Oh! And he's hit! And again, Donovan Ander is on the ground!"

My eyes shot open and I sat straight up, staring at the TV screen in a rush to see what I just heard. 

It was a mistake to watch TV.

There I saw, in the ring, Donovan being kicked and punched, thrown and crushed by a man nearly the same exact size as him. The sight was horrifying. He was knocked down every time he got on his feet and he looked absolutely defeated. Something was wrong, something wasn't right here.

In an instant, his opponent had his arm in a deathly grab and with one swift move, broke it. The sight was sickening, but I couldn't turn away. Donovan fell back to the floor, his mouth never opening and his face showing no signs of pain, just...nothing. With one final punch, Donovan was knocked out, blood was everywhere and he was still, sickly still.

My feet worked quicker than me and before I knew it, I was out the door and inside a cab.

* * * * *

THIRD POV

"Are you seriously kidding me, right now?" she snapped at the broken man that lay before her in the hospital bed. 

"I'm not kidding," he snapped right back. "Go home. I told you not to come here."

"And I told you not to tell me what to do."

"Go, Lina. You have no business being here."

The absolute audacity of this man.

She said nothing more. She put gloves on and hooked him up to an IV. He didn't fight her or move, he simply stared at her, watched her every move.

"That was fake out there..." she began slowly, tightly wrapping his left knee in bandage, glancing up to catch his gaze. "The fight. You did that on purpose, didn't you?"

A small smirk stretched across his face and he chuckled to himself, lifting his unbroken arm to rub his face. "You just see everything, don't you?"

"Like how I saw that you didn't want to fire me," she also blurted, moving to grab supplies to wrap his arm in a cast. "If you were afraid, why didn't you just say so?"

"I wasn't afraid," he snapped defensively. "It was for your fucking safety, Lina. You just can't take a hint, can ya?"

"And you just can't admit that you're being an ass," she grumbled, slowly beginning to wrap his broken arm. "Why did you lose on purpose?"

"None of your business."

She sighed heavily and didn't bother asking anymore about it. If she knew one thing, it was that he was nothing but a stubborn brute and most likely wouldn't say anything else. She patched him up slowly and put his broken arm in a harness and finished patching him up.

When she was done she sat back in the hospital chair and watched him as he slept, his chest slowly rising and falling.

"Why did you come back?"

She stared at him, but he made no movement and he kept his eyes shut. She sighed heavily and leaned back. "Impulse."

"Doctors aren't suppose to lie."

"You are so stubborn so I came over here on my own since I knew you wouldn't call me."

He was quiet for a moment, his eyes still shut. "It's better this way."

"What way?"

"Me being in the hospital bed," he began, finally opening his eyes to look at me. "Not you."