Chapter 12

Levy

What just happened? My ears were ringing and my vision was a little blurry. All I can remember was Gajeel throwing me to the side and then...

Oh god.

My heart started pounding as I stood up, stepping towards where I used to be standing. My eyes darted around frantically. Oh god where is he! I saw his figure lying on the ground in a heap and he wasn't moving. He's not moving.

Tears fell from my eyes as I sprinted over to him, tripping slightly and landing on my knees heavily. Pain shot through my legs but I ignored it, focusing only on Gajeel. His eyes were open and looking at me, but they were almost glazed over, as though he was looking past me.

"Gajeel, you're okay. It's okay. I'm so sorry. We shouldn't have come in here. Gajeel I'm so sorry. Oh god, please be okay." I rambled.

Gajeel lazily smiled and placed his hand on my leg, his eyes starting to droop.

"No, no, no. No please stay awake. Gajeel don't fall asleep, please!" I begged.

My hand reached around to the back of his head, trying to pull him towards me, but I didn't have enough strength. His eyes stayed open less and less each time he blinked. Fuck! What do I do! I leant down and pressed my forehead against his, thinking desperately about what I could do. His eyes finally closed and I felt my heart drop. He was still breathing, even though it was very shallow. I sat up and bit into my lip, tears still falling down my cheeks. I tried to stifle my sobs but failed. My shaky hands were absently stroking Gajeel's hair, petting him like he was Lily.

My eyes travelled down his body to assess the damage, only to find there was nothing wrong. He had no scrapes or marks on his skin, and his clothes were still in one piece. I pulled up his shirt to look at his back, and sure enough there were no marks there either. Confused, I looked back towards the room. That too looked almost immaculate, as though nothing had happened. I stood up and shakily walked towards it, holding my breath as though that would protect me from whatever had happened.

I stood just before the doorway, peering into the room. It didn't look any different from before. Nothing was out of place, not even the loose papers. I heard light footsteps behind me, causing my head to instantly snap around. My eyes darted around desperately, seeing nothing. I looked down at Gajeel, who was still motionless on the floor. Crap, I can hardly protect myself, let alone two of us.

I quietly ran back over to Gajeel, lightly shaking him. I was still on high alert, my ears waiting to pick up anymore sound. Gajeel didn't react. Double crap. I thought about how we would get out of here, if I tried hard enough I could probably carry him, at the very least, drag him out. As I was weighing up my options, I felt a light tap on my shoulder.

"Excuse me, miss." Came a quiet voice behind me.

My arms flailed out behind me, and I screamed, causing me to fall forward on to Gajeel's body. I turned around as fast as I could, one hand up ready to cast anything if I needed to. I know I'm useless, but I need to try for him. My eyes fell on a child, no older than 10, staring at me with large eyes. His clothes were dirty and his red hair was scruffy.

"Excuse me, miss." He repeated.

"H-hello... I'm Levy, what's your name?" I sounded out shakily. He didn't look like he could hurt me, but I didn't want to take any chances.