Happy Family and Bundles of Joy

Start from the beginning

"Fiona's mother called us right after she got the news because she wasn't quite sure how to get to Durham. We figured why not just carpool, and here we are." My Mom explains simply. I smile, my face almost starting to hurt after all of the smiling that I've been doing.

Fiona is practically their daughter too so it makes sense.

"Hello again, young man." My father says as he sticks a hand out for Thomas to shake. They exchange pleasantries and my mom gives me a curious look.

"Have you two settled your differences?" My mother asks me directly and I nod.

"Actually," I say as I put my arm around Thomas's waist "were getting married." The words almost sound like their in some other foreign language as they leave my lips and my moms face instantly turns to that of a child in a candy shop.

"That's incredible!" She gasps and throws her arms around both Thomas and I.

"I'm happy that you approve, Mom, but I figured you'd be a bit more skeptical." I say as my oxygen supply is depleated from
Her tight embrace.

"Luckily That Gabbie girl filled us in on where you were and why you were absent when we got here ten minutes ago." My dad says and he grabs me and kisses my forehead. "I also hear you have a pretty amazing right hook. That's my girl." My dad winks at me and I can't help but laugh.

"Where is Gabbie?" I ask as I look around the crowd of impatient people just waiting for the doctor to say they can visit the baby.

"Fiona kicked her mother out almost immediately because she started arguing with her about her birth plan, and Gabbie went in instead. You'd probably do everyone a favor if you went in there." My mother says, her face indicating just how not well Fiona is handling this.

I turn to give Thomas a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Have fun out here, yeah babe?" I say with a coy smile, knowing that he will have a lot to talk to my parents about.

"You know I will. Now, get in there and tame the beast that is Fiona Reese." Everyone giggles, including me.

I rush into the delivery room where a doctor and midwife are positioned at Fiona's spread eagle legs. Isaac is wiping Fiona's forehead with a towel, and Gabbie is making obnoxious breathing sounds.

"I'm back. I'm here." I say hurriedly as I rush to my friends side, Gabbie is so relieved she looks like she could faint, that or she almost hyperventilated from her breathing technique.

"Well I'm out of here." Gabbie says with a relieved sigh and darts for the door.

"Oh thank god! How did it go?" Fiona asks me through ragged breaths. Isaac shoots me an eager smile as well.

"We've made up, actually, were getting married. It's a long story that neither of you want to hear, I promise."

Fiona lets out a happy shriek that instantly turns to agony as her whole body locks up.

"You have to start pushing, Fiona." The doctor says after Fiona finishes her plea for a quick and painless death that neither Isaac nor myself are about to grant her.

"Someone just shoot me already!" She whimpers loudly.

"You can do this baby," Isaac says sweetly after he gives me a nod and a smile that indicates he's very happy for me, but that celebrations will have to wait.

"I know I can do this Hansen, what I'm not so sure of is why I agreed to sex in the first place! Ever! With anyone!"

Isaac just laughs Fiona's words off, he's honestly handling this like a pro. Fatherhood already looks good on him, and the baby isn't even here yet.