Chapter 7:

Gracie

"What? You're getting married?!" Steve accidentally dropped his silverware and they made a huge clang. I decided to tell him the great news tonight while having dinner.

"Yes." I cleared my throat. For some reason, I was more nervous about telling this idea to Steve. "Yes, I am.... getting... married..." my voice was becoming less audible

"Didn't I just see you at work just a few hours ago?"

"Ye..Yes." I took a deep breath "Okay, well you see, I lied about meeting with an old girlfriend for lunch. I've been actually seeing my husband-to-be behind your back. Behind anyone else's back."

"Well why did you have to go behind me? I didn't even hear you were engaged and suddenly you were getting married."

"I love the guy! Steve, he's awesome. I just knew the moment I saw him he was meant for me. I don't want to miss any second not to be with him." That sounded convincing, right?

"I haven't even heard anything about this guy you're supposed to be marrying."

"Don't have to. You know him so well." He raised an eyebrow at me. "He's...He's..." Okay now that I'm thinking about it, this is totally going to sound bullshit. I didn't really think I could bluff Steve this time. "His name is Matt Watson."

And just like that, everything fell silent. Steve was staring at me for such a long time. His face is a total blank. It would be nice to see some anguish or confusion crossing his face but nada. The only sound that I could hear at this very moment was the clock ticking. It sounded ridiculously loud for some reason.

"Oh my god. Oh my god." Steve cupped his forehead as if he was having the worst migraine he could ever imagine.

"What?"

"Oh my god. I knew I should have called for a specialist again. Oh my god, what have I done!"

Panic rose up to my head. "Steve, no, Steve you listen to me." I reached for his arms. He was sitting across the table. "Steve, I am not sick."

"Yes you are!" He ran his hand through his hair. "Or we wouldn't even be having this fucking conversation." I winced at the use of the crude word. This was the very first time Steve swore in my presence. He must be really angry right now. "You're doing this because of him again, right?"

Then that's when the tears just suddenly roll down my cheeks. Steve really had the power to weaken my defenses. I hated that he knew all about me.

"Oh Gracie." He got up from his chair, went around the table, sat right next to me then hug me really tight.

"I want to move on now Steve. I don't want to be the crazy woman who lingers around his shadow anymore. I can't stand having this feeling anymore. That any minute I'll explode and I'll be out of control. I need some distraction. A change in my life."

"Yes. I understand but marrying someone for this reason won't give you the happiness you want."

"Yes it will! It will give me so much publicity that will say I'm a happy married woman. That I have moved on; I wouldn't even bat an eyelash if one day our path crossed again. I wanted to be a strong woman on the outside." I sniffed. "Even if it was only a facade. Steve, please don't tell me not to do this. My heart will break even more."

He moved himself away from the embrace and looked at me in the eye. "Was this the reason why Matt blew up at you at the hall?"

I nodded. "I went to Matt's office today. I had lunch with him and I asked him to give me a chance to explain myself. He thought I was buying him. I told him the truth. Well I mean not about everything. But that I once sent to a mental institution and that I understand his situation about his mom." I sniffed again. "His mom is currently at the mental instruction. Been there for 7 years now." I informed. "After a few talks, he understood me and agreed to this marriage."