Chapter 36:

Gracie

I knew this was going to be a bad night. The moment I saw the football team, all memories of how miserable I was in high school came back. Matt's presence didn't honestly make me feel better. It didn't help too when this Shelley woman popped up of out nowhere, in skimpy clothes, a pathetic excuse for a cheerleader outfit, and kissed Matt's cheek right in front of me. How dare she... I didn't need his infidelity rubbed into my face more. Where was Steve anyways?

 "I'll take you to your seat first." Matt said as he rested his hand on my back.

I wanted to go home. I couldn't stand being here anymore. I looked up to him and said, "No. I'll manage. Go ahead and get changed."

He stared at me for a while then lowered his head to kiss me on the lips. "Find a seat where I could find you, alright? I'll need moral support." 

I gave him a faint smile. "Alright."

I sat at the very front row and a few minutes later, I saw the cheerleaders lobbying on the side field right in front of me. Of all seats I could have chosen, it had to be the one where the cheerleaders were. I watched them animatedly talking to each other especially Shelley. For some reason, I couldn't take my eyes off her. I was observing how she spoke, how she moved, how she dressed, how she managed to keep hold of Matt after all these years, and how she really felt about Matt.

She must have sense I was staring at her, since she looked up and turned her gaze at me. "It brings back memories, doesn't it? To see the boys going out there on the field."

"I don't know. I've never seen them officially play before." I answered passively.

Her eyes grew in shock. "You never?"

"I didn't see the reason why. It wasn't like any of the guys in the football team were my favourite people anyway."

The other cheerleader who Shelley was talking to turned her attention to me. "Hey! I remember you. Aren't you Matt's wife? You were with him when I saw him tonight."

"Ye..." I was about to answer her when Shelley interrupted me.

"She's Gracie Stewart. She went with us to high school." She informed.

"Oh...." The cheerleader looked confused. "Really? I don't remember you."

"Matt used to bully her a lot. You were always there with me and the other boys whenever Matt would bully her. Like, tripping her in the hallway or something."

Right, keep talking about me like I wasn't here, Shelley.

The cheerleader kept her eyes on me as if she was still trying to figure out who I was. Then as if her light bulb went off, "OH! Yes. The rich bitch who transferred to our school." She laughed. "Sorry I didn't mean to say rich bitch. Though you are certainly rich. I just remembered a check signed for $50,000 I received last week from you and Matt. Thank you for that. I'm Christina by the way.” She extended her hand to me. “Christina Perras. I run this event." 

I stood up to reach her hand and shook it. "You're welcome. It was my pleasure to donate to your event. Nice to meet you, Christina."

"Oh wow. I can't believe Matt married someone from high school. Especially someone he used to bully. How did you guys end up being married? I always thought Shelley and Matt were forever, y'know." She turned to Shelley. "You loved him so much in high school."

Shelley gave a faint smile. "Matt was very ambitious. I always knew he would want to leave as far as he could from our town. He didn't like the way he was living like a trash. If Matt were to choose who he wanted to spend the rest of his life with, he'd pick someone who'd get him out of the way he was living."