Chapter 34:

Gracie

"Something happened with you and Matt?" Steve asked breaking the silence we had on the elevator

"Nothing." I loosened my hold of his arm and moved a step away from him.

Steve turned to me. "I wanted to invite him to have lunch with us..."

"The reservation you booked was only for two." I interrupted.

He laughed lightly. "Okay."

When we were at the restaurant, I should have known Steve wouldn't let the topic go. After a few discussions we had, he brought up the subject with Matt again.

"So, what's going on with you and Matt?"

My steak was half way through my mouth when he said that. I had to put fork down and scowled at him, "You're not letting this go, are you?"

He shook his head. "Nope. I want to make sure you're getting a good deal out of this marriage."

I placed the fork back on my plate. "Steve, you know Matt isn't like that. He's really doing his best for me."

"I can see that. So what's the problem?"

"I feel like we're getting closer, much closer that I wanted to."

He furrowed his eyebrows showing his confusion.

I looked into Steve's eyes. "I don't want to depend on him."

"He's your husband. Why can't you depend on him?"

"He's my husband only on papers, Steve. I've got too many complications in life and Matt shouldn't get himself involved with me any more than this."

"Maybe he wants to." He paused. "Or I don't know." He started on his steak. "But I do know that Matt doesn't like me around you."

I jaw dropped. "What?"

Steve stared at me. "Oh c'mon, Gracie. Surely you've noticed."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

He was looking at me like I was impossible. "Whenever I'm around, Matt always looks so uncomfortable. And when you get way too close to me and I to you, he'd glare at me or at any part of my body that rests on yours."

I didn't know what to say. Shocked to hear all of this. I had so many questions to ask to everything he just said, but one thing stood out, "What do you mean we get too close to each other?"

He sighed. "It's probably because we never saw each other that way that's why we don't put much meaning to this, but the way we cling on to each other gives off vibes there's more to it than what we show."

He made it sound like we were doing something illegal. "I don't..."

"I know. And I never really cared about what other people think. I like keeping you close to me, and it's most likely because we're so comfortable with each other that it's become a habit I would put my arm around you even in public." He paused. "I always like to tuck you in my arms, I guess. Keep you protected all the time."

I smiled at him. There was just no way I could ever find another Steve in my life. Or in my next life. What seriously did I ever do to deserve him? I reached out to grab his hand tightly. "This goes without saying, but I always feel safe with you, Steve."

He smiled back at me. "Still I've got to mind my actions with Matt around."

I forgot why we were talking about this in the first place. "You're over thinking it, Steve. And Matt knows how deep our friendship is."