Chapter 19:

Gracie

"Oh Gracie, It was so good to see you again. You and Matt should just stay for Christmas," Miranda hugged me really tight, not wanting to let me go.

"Ma, Gracie is a married woman now. She's not someone we can easily steal now. She has to spend her first Christmas with her husband alone." Steve chuckled as he put his arm around Miranda's shoulders.

"But she will always be my baby girl." Miranda sniffled as she reluctantly let me go.

"Of course I'll always be your baby girl, Miranda. That won't ever change. I love you." I kissed her cheek.

"I love you too, baby girl."

"C'mon now, honey, enough with the drama. Gracie is not going anywhere out of our reach." Danny reached out to give me a warm embrace. "Have fun in Hawaii, alright?"

"Thanks, Danny. And I definitely will." I hugged Danny back.

"Well, enjoy your first Christmas together as a married couple." Miranda looked at Matt who was standing by my side. "Matt, don't ever hesitate to come and visit us, okay? You're as much as a family now as Gracie and Steve are to us."

"Thank you, Miranda. Gracie and I will visit you and Danny more often." Matt put his arms around me and squeezed my shoulder.

"Well, mom, dad, I'll just see Matt and Gracie out." Steve started to the door.

I hugged Miranda and Danny one last time before I headed out of the house with Matt. 

Once we were out, Aaron was already in front of the Haydens' house, waiting in the car. I looked up at Steve and gave him a big hug as I kissed him on the cheek, "Merry Christmas, Steve. I'll see you in the New Year."

Steve returned my hug really tight as he kissed my hair, "Merry Christmas to you too, Gracie. Have fun in Hawaii." He jerked his head at Matt who was standing behind me. "You take care of our family treasure, alright?"

I pulled out of the hug as I glanced back to see Matt grinning, "I'll make sure she returns safe and sound." He interlaced his hand with mine as we got in the car.

The airport was, no surprise, a big mayhem once again. Flashes of camera were all over us as we headed inside. I seriously was not overwhelmed anymore by the amount of cameras and microphones shoved in my face. It had been like this ever since I even knew how to think and speak. I had lived all my life raising my head up high as if I had nothing to be ashamed about. My parents taught me the only way to survive in this kind of life was not letting them get to you. These people would write stuff about you regardless if they were right or wrong, but they would still know nothing about you other than what you portray to them. I had been living my life up to my parents' standards. I never had any scandals in my life; even my mental state and activities for the last two years, I was able to keep it from the press. I had been very careful not to tarnish my parents' name. It was the only way I could ever repay them. But being born into this kind of environment didn't stop me from wishing that sometimes I had some privacy of my own, where I could freely walk in an airport or a mall or any public places without these reporters swarming around me.

As we were walking towards the check-in desk, I was startled when Matt's arm suddenly circled around my shoulders. His grip tightened and pulled me closer to him as he felt me jerk away in surprise. I looked up at him and saw his expressionless face, his eyes covered in black shades, yet I could see how his jaw appeared rigid, most likely annoyed at the mayhem around us. I put my head down and leaned my body on his side as a smile touched on my face. I had never had anyone this close to me in front of the media like this. Steve would usually just touch my back to guide my way while security guards were all over me, but he had never put his arm around me in public places like this as he knew I always felt claustrophobic with too many people around me. I didn't feel claustrophobic with Matt walking way too close to me though. In fact I felt protected and safe. His touch made me feel like I didn't have to walk this suffocating path alone.