Chapter 1:

Gracie

I can't believe this. I cannot believe I'm reading this. "Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh!" I yelled all over my room as I crumpled the front page of the newspaper in my hand. I was shaking with anger. This was seriously not happening. I threw the now-balled newspaper across the room just as someone opened the door.

"Gracie, what's goi...... Goodness! Are you alright?" Steve's concerned question as he hurriedly sat on the edge of my bed reaching me. I was holding my head in my hands. "Have you taken your meds yet? Hang on. Lucy! Lucy!"

I clutched onto Steve's arms that were holding my shoulder. "You knew already right? You knew and you didn't tell me!" An accusation I screamed at Steve which I know for sure he didn't deserve.

Steve's gaze left me and moved towards the balled newspaper on the floor. "Gracie... I..."

"That stupid bastard didn't even waste his time!" Tears were now rolling down my cheeks. Too many emotions were going through me at this very moment. How could he?

"Gracie, it's been two years. Two long years, I'm even surprised he just finally decided to do it now."

"Nooo! Noooo! Nooo!" I was screaming my lungs out as my tears were impossibly leaking from my eyes. Steve held me in his arms really tight, just like he always did all my life.

"Gracie... It's okay.. Shhhh... It's okay..... Lucy! Lucy! I need your help. Lucy!" Steve panickly called out and in a heartbeat, Lucy was at the door rushing to get to me as she held that needle I hated pricking through me for 2 years now. She pierced it through my right arm and I felt like the world was blackening out.

*******************

I don't know how long I passed out but the next thing I opened my eyes, I was lying on my bed. I noticed Steve was holding my right hand as he sat next to the bed looking at me like he was in so much pain. My heart always ached whenever I know I caused him that.

"Hey...." I tried to give him my warm smile.

"Gracie...." He let go of my hand and started pacing around my room. "I cannot always send you away to different places and get you treated. This cannot go on forever."

"But I am cured! That's the reason why I came back a week ago. My doctor said nothing is wrong with me anymore."

"Your episode this morning clearly didn't tell me you were any better."

I rolled my eyes at him as if I found that statement the most ridiculous I've ever heard. "Steve, I was upset with that news. Anyone in my situation who saw that news would have reacted the same way."

"Normal people wouldn't."

"Define normal, Steve. Someone like you? Your heart is as good as a stone for heaven's sake! Normal people who date you will go straight to the mental institution the moment you said its over."

He chuckled. "Fair enough. But....." Steve approached me again and sat on the edge of my bed as he held my hand.. "So.... Does that mean you want me to look for another specialist for you again?" Horror crept up to my face as the thought of seeing yet another stranger to study me and my supposed "unusual" behaviour frightened me to hell. I sat up on my bed as if my body was on full alert.

"No!" I exclaimed then I tried to calm my voice down as Steve wouldn't buy any of this if he saw any panic in my eyes. I gave him my warm smile. "Steve, you don't have to find me a specialist. I am perfectly fine. I am very sorry I got you worried again but really, I am fine. I just... I guess I need to get used to the 'normal' life again." I giggled as if mocking Steve's use of 'normal'.

"Okay. I guess you're right. At some point, you're going to have some slip ups since you had gotten just out of your therapy sessions but I'll let it go only once okay?" I nodded. "Any more episodes like this, I'm calling 911." I laughed lightly knowing Steve's mood was better. Steve was so nice. I would seriously die for him.

"Anyways I gotta go." He started getting up from the bed.

"Hot date tonight?" I shook my head in a disappointment mock. "Poor woman, you don't know you'll be heartbroken a few days later."

Steven laughed. "No. I'm going to a party. Actually now that I think about it, I should take you along."

"What? Why? If it's a company's party, I don't wanna go. No one even knows I'm back yet. Doubt they even care."

Steve shot me a look, "Gracie, you are the CEO of the company. The backbone of the company. Of course they care about you. But I'm not attending any company's party. I'm going to the high school reunion. It's been 10 years, apparently. Wow can you believe that? I've known you for 10 years now!"

"I felt like I've known you my whole life and even from my past life. Anyways, I'm not going." I went back to lie my back on the bed and pulled up my comforter.

"What! Why not. You were part of that school once too."

"As if I had any good recollections of my high school other than meeting you. Now that I think of it, my high school was a misery!" I sat up back again. "Do you remember that guy who used to bully me a lot?"

Steve frowned at me as he tried to remember some memories. "Someone bullied you?"

I rolled my eyes at him. "Yes! His name was Matthew Watson. The dumb quarterback! I could never ever forget his name nor his face in this lifetime. As a matter of fact, you were part of the football team too right!"

"Oh Matt! Right!" Steve chuckled. "Gracie, please. It's been 10 years. You guys are grown ups now. Why do you even remember trivial things like that."

"Steve, it's not trivial! Bullying me all my high school life was definitely not trivial!" I paused for a moment as the memories started to come back in and then laid on my back again. "I am totally not reliving my high school memory by going to that stupid reunion!"

"Gracie...." He came forward and sat on my bed again, trying to soothe me most likely. "I think you should go with me. I think it's about time to meet people and stop this.... locking yourself up in this room. Besides, reunion in 10 years is there for people to boast what they have become of after high school. Don't you wanna see them staring at you in awe now that you are a CEO at 28?"

That got me to thinking but..... "Well, my family owned the company for generations. It's meant to be mine."

"So? You're still the CEO at such early age." He reached for my hand. "Come with me.... If not for that, do it for my sake since you've got me worried all day..."

Ahhhh why did Steve have to always do this? This was my ultimate weakness. Why did he have to use my own guilt to win me over. I curled up my lips in an annoyance and said, "Fine, give me 30 minutes."

Steve gave me his killer smile. The kind of smile that every woman in this world would fall for. "I'll meet you downstairs."

And just like that, he left my room and me who was dreading every moment thinking of that stupid reunion.