Chapter 31:

Matt

I'd been reading the same page of this report for half an hour now. I couldn't concentrate. I dropped the report on my table and rubbed my temple. Why the fuck did I ask her out for dinner?! I mean sure I thought maybe I could try and be nice to her after seeing how she looked after my mom, but being Mr. Nice Guy surely did come back and bit me in the ass so fast. I knew something was a little off about her when I found her in the room with the blanket up her chest. It was like she was embarrassed to be seen naked by me.

And I fucking raped her. Again! What the hell was wrong with me? I gotta do something with my anger issues. Just because I slept with Gracie didn't give me special pass to do whatever I wanted with her.

I felt my cellphone vibrating. I pulled it out and saw Shelley's name flashed on the screen.

"What's up?" I asked as I put it on my ear.

"Wanna come over for dinner?" Shelley's literally purred on the phone.

I sighed. "I'm a bit tied up for now."

"I haven't seen you in ages."

"Yeah, I know. Sorry. There's just a lot of stuff at work."

"Well, I could meet you up somewhere close."

"Shelley, you know we can't do that."

"What's wrong with two friends out having dinner at a nice restaurant?"

It was past 9 when I got off from work and headed to the restaurant where I was supposed to meet Shelley. I didn't really have any important work in the office, but I just needed to prolong this dinner. For some reason, after what happened today, I didn't want to see Shelley and go at it with her. I arrived at the restaurant and found Shelley sitting at the table near the window.

"Sorry I was late." I said as I made it to the table.

Shelley turned her head to look up at me and had a nice smile on her face. "Hey you made it!" She rose from her seat and kissed me on the lips.

I stared at her really hard, flabbergasted that she kissed me in public. I didn't see it coming.

"Oops sorry, out of habit. I forgot you're married now." She was definitely not sorry she did that. "So, how have you been?" She asked as she returned to her seat.

"Busy." I answered as I sat across from her.

"I could tell. You haven't seen me for a couple of weeks now."

"I didn't know that my visits were scheduled." I browsed the menu.

"Well, there was not, but ever since you got married, it was like you would see me at least thrice a week."

That got me my attention. I looked up at her as the waiter came by to get our order. "Like I said I've been busy, and don't count on the days I'd come over, they change whenever my mood felt like." I directed my gaze to the waiter. "I'll have roasted beef. Thank you."

We spent the dinner with Shelley just basically talking about the things at her work, while I barely just replied a word or two, and mostly focused my attention on my food.

"You're quiet today." Shelley commented.

I sighed. "I'm just tired."

"Did you not want having me over for dinner outside?"

I looked at her. "What do you mean?"

She forced her smile. "Did having dinner with me in public made me become somehow your official mistress?"