First Night

It was her first night. First night's always the hardest, for a girl, ya know? It's the night she learns if she has what it takes. She has to put on her face and go out into the world, sit in the bar or the lobby or wherever it is they've decided to meet and then she has to look him in the eye and know that they're both in agreement that her body is worth a certain amount of money. Of course, it's a lot of money but it's still a transaction, and then she has to come back and show me what she made, so I know she can go out again the next night, and the night after that.

Demi Lovato had always been a ball of unwavering anxiety but preparing for the first night of her job just made her anxiousness sky rocket, leaving her hands sweaty and too shaky to do her own makeup. There were so many stories that had circulated about the "first nights." Either your date was successful, and you came back with the right amount of money and officially got to call yourself one of Sharon Sander's high-end call girls, or you were a failure, doomed to standing on the side of the street while trying to make your own way. As a gift to every girl on their first night, Sharon let them go to the Barney's near Times Square and pick out their own pair of Christian Louboutin stilettos. No girl could pick the same shoe. It was the shoe that distinguished them, that made them special out of the twenty girls that stayed on staff. There was always only twenty, never more.

The Follies Strass was the shoe that Demi had chosen. Sharon had crinkled her nose when Demi picked them out, but she wasn't sure if it was because of the price tag or how they actually looked, but Demi loved them. She felt like they were sensual and sophisticated and made a statement without trying too hard. The silky pink fishnet with the suede sparkles and diamonds added onto the little confidence that she did have as she combed her fingers through her perfected beach waves and took a deep breath, feeling the black town car come to a stop in front of the St. Regis. It was high end, but as Lola had reminded her, it wasn't the most high-end hotel in New York. The man she was meeting with was rich, but not rich enough for a suite at the Plaza.

"Call me if something goes wrong."

Each girl had their own bodyguard and driver. Her bodyguard was Max. Demi didn't know him well, aside from the fact that he wasn't from America judging by his Australian accent. Max had passed her a pink Razor – the flip phone made famous by Paris Hilton – as soon as she slipped into the car. Only two numbers were in it: his and Sharon's. But Demi seriously doubted she would ever be calling Sharon.

"Okay," Demi breathed out, fixing her hair one more time before exiting the town car with her velvet champagne colored purse hanging from her arm.

She tilted her chin up, walking with her shoulders squared back and her head held high as she strutted into the luxurious hotel. She looked good. She knew that she looked good. Most girls opted for black on their first night, but she didn't. She had slipped into a tight white number that made her tanned skin glow and perfectly matched her shoes. Her honey highlighted hair tumbled down her back in loose waves, and she was wearing enough makeup to the point where a guy wouldn't be able to tell if she was wearing any at all, because men were clueless.

"Welcome," the hostess at the front of the restaurant greeted with a dazzling smile. "Table for one?"

"I'm meeting someone at the bar," Demi forced out, placing a practiced smile on her face as the hostess nodded and gestured towards the bar.

Demi thanked her before taking her place on the second seat from the end. That's where they agreed to meet. Five thousand dollars. That was how much her body was worth tonight. Five thousand dollars. That was a lot for her first night, and if she didn't deliver, it was back to the streets for her.

"Would you like anything to drink, madam?" the bartender questioned, but Demi shook her head. They weren't allowed to drink on the job even though a shot of vodka would probably help to calm her nerves.