Chapter 52: Apotheosis Horizon (1/2)

Beginne am Anfang

"Captain Sebbit," I said. "The only information I had was that you took one of my people into harm's way. Make that two." I looked over at Catayla as I said the last word.

"I will do everything in my power to get them out safely. My team means just as much to me as yours does to you. If that means dealing with a few infant deities, abominations, or elder ones then so be it." Sebbit's jaw tightened but I couldn't help but notice the smiles on the faces of Talith and Catayla.

"So then," I continued. "What's the plan?"

"Very well, Mr. Finn. Come with me."

Sebbit agreeing so quickly scared me more than whatever was growing in the black orb. He was even somewhat pleasant. The only explanation I could think of was that he was desperate.

We crossed the Peacekeeper camp quickly. Almost every one of the soldiers was stationed behind small, hexagonal barricades. Each shield was made of translucent energy and had several gaps in the center and around the edges that were just large enough to fit the barrel of a rifle.

No one spoke, and the silence and general stillness was unnerving. I couldn't imagine how much training it took to develop that level of cohesion and confidence in a group this large. Not one of the soldiers so much as turned their head to look at their commanding officer as he cut a path through the camp.

As we neared the rear of the encampment I noticed we were walking towards two massive vehicles. They looked somewhat like a tank if you took the basic idea and super-sized it. Each had multiple rows of articulated treads holding up fifty tons of armored plating. There was no cannon, but multiple turret stations lined the top of each vehicle.

Between the two tanks was a long, narrow tent made from brown cloth that was similar to canvas. This was the only area in the camp with activity; Peacekeeper troops were moving around the vehicles and a stream of soldiers were moving in and out of the tent.

I continued to follow Sebbit as he marched into the tent, soldiers moving aside to clear the way. The interior was simple, with a few machines placed to one side and a large, round table set in the center. There seemed to be another room, but it was sealed off behind a drawn curtain.

Above the table floated a large holographic representation of the battlefield surrounding the Peacekeeper encampment. Four Peacekeepers stood around the table. They were interacting with hieroglyphic symbols and would occasionally make changes to the hologram itself using arcane hand movements. I almost never saw male Peacekeepers, and yet every one of these technicians was male.

"You son of a bitch," I heard Tiller before I saw him. "Was that you out there?"

I turned and found the gangly airman standing directly behind me. He lifted me into a massive bearhug that pulled me several inches above the ground. I tried to make my discomfort at his physical affection clear with a few awkward pats of his shoulder.

"I thought you were dead. Then I found out you weren't, but then you'd been torn apart by monsters. Try to stay with us this time, okay?"

"I could say the same thing to you," I said. "But first, can you put me down?"

"Oh," he dropped me immediately. "Sorry about that, it's just how I am. Are...."

I let out a soft gasp and begin to rub my temples. I was having a hard time delaying the system messages and they were demanding my attention with increased insistence.

"Are you okay?" Tiller asked. "You kinda look like shit."

"No. I'm fine, really. Just all these status updates won't shut up and they're giving me a headache. I'll be fine once I get a minute to deal with it."

"I didn't know that was possible," said Tiller.

"It shouldn't be," said Catayla. "I mean, there are situations where the system will impose penalties if ignored – but nothing on a tier IV planet should cause it. The whole point is to impose limits, both on citizens and dangers. This gives the natives the gentlest introduction possible."

"Ha, you call this fucking gentle?" Tiller said.

"You only think this is bad because you haven't come up against anything above level twenty-five. I've seen—"

"Look," I said. "Can we get back to what's important? I'll be fine." I turned to look at Sebbit and Talith.

"I'm assuming you have a plan to deal with that thing?" I pointed behind me with my thumb.

"Hold on a moment," Sebbit said.

The captain turned to one of the male Peacekeepers and gave an order in a growling voice that sounded like two pieces of sandpaper rubbing together. The soldier nodded and ran to the back of the tent and moved a large curtain slightly to one side. He shouted to whomever was inside, but never crossed the barrier itself.

It only took a few seconds for Telvy to walk out, pushing aside the curtain to reveal a warm golden glow coming from the room behind her.

"Finn, my dear," she smiled and threw her arms out wide. "I was positively aghast at having to leave you behind. I'm so glad you made it back in one piece." She paused for a moment and looked at me with narrowed eyes.

"How are you..." she started.

"Archmage, please," said Sebbit. "I am sure Finn will answer your questions in good time." He looked at me with an expectant stare as he finished the sentence. His cold eyes lingered for a moment before he continued. "Right now, we require a status update on your formation."

"Oh, well alright," the archmage frowned.

"I've completed the basic formation array with a series of mana infused silver inlays and copper wire salvaged from local tech, a brilliant piece of improvisation if I don't say so myself."

She lifted her chin and turned her head, showing off a long graceful neck. She continued to pose for a moment, seemingly gazing at some invisible point in the distance while quietly polishing her claws on the front of her shirt. When she finally finished her preening, the mage huffed before turning back to her explanation.

"I solved the power problems by connecting the dungeon cores in a master/slave chain regulated by the AI daemon, but there are just too many variables. Everything is ready – but I'll need several minutes to calibrate and adjust to the deific entity's specific energy signature and aspect. "

"What," Sebbit rubbed between his eyes as he spoke. "And please speak plainly – what exactly do you need?"

"I'll need time. The Apotheosis Horizon has already been crossed. We no longer have any chance to stop the event in its infancy. We'll have to wait for the fledgling deity to emerge and then distract her long enough for the AI to finish calibrations – then we pray the spell works."

"Reassuring," Talith said.

Sebbit remained remarkably calm for a man who was just told that his only way to stop a death goddess was to 'pray.' He used his characteristic thousand-yard stare to look through the archmage for a moment before nodding his head. "Get it done."

"Mr. Finn," the captain turned to speak to me just as he was opening the tent flap. "Leave Telvy and her new apprentice to their work..." As Sebbit spoke the word apprentice Tiller stood up straight and pointed at himself with both thumbs – the universal gesture for "this guy."

"... and follow me." Sebbit didn't wait for confirmation before he exited the tent.

Tiller looked like he wanted to say something, but Telvy was already heading to the backroom and calling for him to follow. Instead, he settled for giving me a firm pat on the shoulder before running after the archmage. I followed Talith and Catayla as they exited the tent.

"Alright, Mr. Finn," Sebbit said as soon as we were clear of the tent. "Thanks to you we no longer have to hold back. Saddle up and get comfortable, we roll out in ten."