Chapter 50: Ave Maria

I followed the ledge of the cliff as it gradually angled towards the northeast. I stayed low, trying to stay behind the sparse vegetation and sporadically placed rocks. This slowly brought me closer to the courtyard, but there was still the problem of an army of creatures between the Peacekeeper encampment and myself. There were gaps where the different breeds of abomination refused to mix, but I couldn't see a way to slip through those narrow openings without being detected.

The area around the battlefield had been trampled flat. Even the grass had been ground down to nothing but dust. There were no trees or rock formations large enough to provide cover. A stream that had broken off from the larger river cut through the northern half of the horde, but just getting there undetected would be impossible. Even if I could, I had no guarantee that I wouldn't be noticed as I tried to swim against the current.

There was no clear shot to the courtyard, and a growing number of beasts were congregating around the area. Different species would occasionally engage in short skirmishes to determine which of them would be allowed to attack the Peacekeeper defenses. The losers would scurry off, biding their time.

It became a constant rotation of infighting followed by challenges and posturing that were inevitably followed by an earth shattering charge against the glowing blue forcefield. Each time these attacks would be broken by a deluge of fire and lead.

Whatever faults I had with the Peacekeepers, I couldn't criticize their accuracy.

Despite this, the attacks showed no sign of slowing. It was an unending cycle as more beasts would take the place of the slain. Each wave destroyed was added to a growing mound of corpses. It was as if the horde was content to entomb the Peacekeepers in a mountain of sacrificial flesh.

Even for mutated, eldritch infested beasts it seemed unnatural. Their survival instincts had been overpowered by a mindless bloodlust. There had to be more to it, some motive I wasn't seeing. This single mindedness only aided me, but I still felt uneasy.

I wasn't being watched and had the element of surprise, so it would be a test of their speed against my own. Some of the quadrupeds and smaller humanoids were quick, but I was capable of explosive bursts of speed when required.

There was even a chance of assistance if I could get close enough to the courtyard.

If only the mindless beasts were the only thing I had to worry about. The red robed giants stood as silent sentinels. They peered down on everything before them with unmoving attentiveness. Each was ringed by a group of thirteen mages.

What I needed was a distraction.

It would have to be big. My eye slipped down to the pocket of energy I was using to carry the dungeon core. I had intended to use it as threat – a way to get Sebbit to back down. The idea seemed foolish now. The captain was way too by-the-book to give into what was essentially a terrorist threat. Besides, it couldn't be a bluff. I'd have to truly be willing to go through with it.

If I wasn't sincere he'd see through the ruse. I wasn't sure if it was skill or skill, but the captain was impossible to lie to.

I'd have to be willing to blow up Tiller as well. That wasn't really an option if saving the cocky son-of-bitch was my only goal. It was time to stop thinking, and just act. Let the chips fall where they may.

I formed a plan. It was monumentally stupid and not properly thought out, perhaps, but it was all that I had.

I jumped from the cliff.

For a tiny moment, I closed my eyes and allowed myself to feel the unbridled joy of it. The sky was behind me and the ground raced up to meet me as the wind flowed over my face and brushed back my hair. It was exhilarating.