Chapter 34: Isolation

I heard gravel being crushed between steel boots and hard pavement. My Companion was screaming warnings in the back of my mind, but I didn't need to look to know that there were two Peacekeepers approaching me from behind. They had given up all pretenses of stealth. I had no delusions that I would have been able to hear their footsteps if they didn't want me to.

I briefly wondered how long they had been following me, but it was useless speculation if they had been even half as talented as Catyala.

Sebbit climbed down from the top of the massive transport – it was more of a tank really. His skin was a crimson that was a few shades darker than the blood red of his uniform. His features were given a stony texture, as if roughly hewn from rock, by a number of raised bumps and deep crevices that lined his face.

He carried no weapon, but still held himself with an air of intimidating strength. Sebbit was shorter than any of his soldiers, but I still had to look up to make eye contact and I was generally considered tall – freakishly so even, or so I've been told.

Four massive Peacekeepers flanked their captain, two on each side, and several more stood atop the vehicle, each staring down at me. The giant soldiers stood at perfect attention, with one hand resting on the butt of their rifles and unreadable expressions on their faces. They carried their guns in the resting position - strapped to their chest and pointed downwards.

"Sebbit," I said, subconsciously raising my hands slightly to keep them in view. "Is everything all right? Do you know where Catayla and the others are?"

"My subordinate is fine, Mr. Finn," the alien said in the dull monotone of his computer translator. "As are the rest of your companions. I understand they are worried about your fate and are most likely looking forward to a reunion. I hope to facilitate that meeting as soon as I am able."

Sebbit walked closer, his pace slow and measured. He kept eye contact with me the whole time, and even though his body language was relaxed my instincts screamed at me that I was in danger.

"Are they here?" I asked, slightly raising my chin to point towards the massive vehicle that Sebbit had descended from. "I've been moving to join back up with them. We got separated after an attack on the River – we were actually trying to assist Catayla with making contact with you."

"I've been briefed, Mr. Finn. Thank you for your assistance."

"How did you find them?" I asked. "And how did you find me so quickly? I appreciate it, of course, but I'm surprised to find you here waiting for me."

In answer Sebbit reached down to his belt and unclipped a small disk with a single depression in the center. "Every Peacekeeper carries one of these. I believe you have one as well, yes?"

I nodded. "Yes, uh, Catayla gave it to me in case we needed to communicate. It hasn't worked since the sky exploded and that pillar of light appeared. She claimed that communication had been cut off due to some kind of interference. She asked us to help find the rest of her people, uh your Peacekeepers."

The alien captain stared at me in silent appraisal, pausing for an uncomfortably long ten seconds or so before speaking once more. "If you would return the tracking device, Mr. Finn, I would appreciate it. They are generally not loaned to outsiders."

"Tracking...?" I said. "Sure, uhm here." I threw it to him with a gentle underhand pass. "I'm just here to help, I'm not looking for any trouble."

"You seem nervous. Don't worry, I'll be asking you to honor that promise of assistance in due time, but for now I'm afraid that it is you who is once more in need of my help."

"Me?" My voice wavered. There was no threat to be found in the mechanical voice, but I couldn't help but feel uneasy.

"Yes, Mr. Finn," he said. "It seems you have been infected, a pervasive corruption that threatens to overwhelm you both mentally and physically."