12. It's More Than That

Start from the beginning

"So, are you excited to get away from me?" I ask him jokingly. He looks at me and smiles.

"Yep, I am so sick of your...hair. It's too brown."He says as he pretends to be disgusted, reaching over to touch my hair. I just roll my eyes at his ridiculous response and laugh.

"In all seriousness, though, I actually love your hair. It's so soft and curly and fluffy, it's just adorable." He says with a smile as he runs his hands through my hair. I groan as I try to concentrate on driving but he's making it really difficult to keep my eyes on the road with his hands in my face. 

"You can love my messy hair without touching it! Move your hands or we're gonna crash." I tell him as I push his hands down from my hair. He whines and puts a hand back into my hair. 

"You're so weird, you and Kyle! I don't know why you love feeling my hair so much but it's weird. Kyle would do it all the time when we were little." He just laughs as I give him a confused smile.

"It's because we don't have such luscious locks like you do." He says sarcastically, but I think he actually means it. 

"Shawn, you have such gorgeous hair, I can't even describe it's beauty and it's perfection." I say as I turn to him real quick. He takes his hand out of my hair and looks back at me with an amused smile. 

Without him expecting it, I reach over and place one of my hands in his hair and play with his curls while my other hand is on the wheel. "Hey!" He laughs as he leans down a bit, making it easier for me to reach his head. 

I turn to him with a gasp and a shocked expression. His smile immediately drops. "What?" He asks me, frightened. 

"I'm touching the Shawn Mendes' famous curly brown hair." I answer him as I try my best to stay serious. He lets out a breath of air and holds his hand to his chest as his serious face becomes a smile. 

"Oh my god, you got me scared for a second, there." He tells me as he recovers from it. I burst out in uncontrollable laughter at his reaction. 

We end up stopping for breakfast at some unfamiliar restaurant in Toronto. Neither one of us has been here but we decide to try it anyway. It's hard, as Shawn has said many times before, to go out in public with him. The whole restaurant staff had to get a picture with him, which I could tell annoyed him a lot, but they don't see that. They just see a celebrity whose name they've heard before and immediately think, "I need to get a picture with this really important person." All Shawn wanted was to enjoy his breakfast and his time in Canada before he has to leave, and it makes me really sad to see that he can't really have that, he's too much of a nice guy to say no. 

My heart literally aches for him sometimes. I know that a lot of people may think that celebrities don't deserve any sympathy, they can do whatever they want in the world, they don't know what it's like to be a normal person. I'd kill for the whole world to see the side of Shawn that no cameraman will ever capture, the part of him that shows that he's just like us, he's just normal. A lot of the times, it's those kinds of comments that make it harder to see that human side of celebrities. 

I try to cheer him up, even though he keeps a poker face and doesn't want me to know that it bothers him. "How about we get some ice cream." I ask him with a small smirk. 

He looks at me like I'm crazy as we walk out of the restaurant and begin to run with our heads down to my car. "In the morning? What ice cream place is open on a May morning?" He asks me curiously as we get in the car. 

"You remember Maeve, don't you? The girl who was in choir with us in ninth grade?" He nods his head at me before I continue. 

"Well, she moved to Toronto, too. She co-owns an ice cream place not too far from the airport, which technically opens at ten but I've seen her in there really early. She won't ask you for any pictures." I tell him seriously, he looks at me and groans as he rolls his eyes and tilts his head back on the headrest.