09. Meaningless Headlines

I woke up to someone's constant banging on the door. I groan as I hide my eyes from the sunlight peeking in through the curtains and snuggle more into the covers. As the banging continues, I hear a husky groan from right beside me, making my eyes shoot open. I immediately scream, making his eyes open too, and he looks at me in horror. We quickly roll away from each other on the bed, but as soon as I do, I realize that I don't have any clothes on.

"What the fuck? Shawn?" I ask him as I sit up, hugging the sheets closer to my body. He sits up too and cusses under his breath, "what did we do?" I look around to see where we are and immediately recognize it as Shawn's bedroom. How the hell did we end up here?

The banging continued again, which startled both of us. I had no clue who it could be but I knew that as soon as Shawn looked over at me with wide eyes and panic, I knew it wouldn't be good.

"It's my mum." He says panicking as he jumps out of the bed and slips some bottoms on. He doesn't have time to put a shirt on because the banging gets heavier. "Shawn! I'm coming in! it's twelve o'clock and no one has heard from you!" I could hear keys jingle and the door push open.

He quickly turns towards me. "Just...roll off the bed so she doesn't see you!" He said as quiet as he could before he turned towards the door and opened it a crack. I did as he said, I rolled off the bed, taking the sheets with me, and landed with a thud. The fall did hurt a little, especially because along with the impact from hitting the ground, my skull felt like it was being cracked open because it was pulsing at an alarming rate, making me hold my head in agony while I tried my best to remain quiet.

"Hi mum! Sorry, I just woke up." He said in the clearest voice that he could manage. I'm sure he was feeling the same horrible pulsing headache.

"Oh thank god, Shawn! I've been trying to get ahold of you all morning! Do you know that it's almost one o'clock?" I couldn't see what was happening at all because I'm faced towards the wall and the bed is blocking my vision, but I could hear the relief in Karen's voice.

"I didn't, I just woke up, I'm so sorry." He told her, and I could hear him slightly wince as he did. He must've been feeling the hangover.

"Let's get you some Advil. See this is why you don't get drunk, Shawn! You can drink whatever you want but sometimes you can have fun with just one or two drinks." I could tell that she was walking away because her voice grew quiet. It seemed as though Shawn had stayed in the room, however, because I could hear him groan in discomfort.

"Well, at least you made it home safely. Speaking of that, do you know where Izzy is? Liz has been freaking out all morning trying to get in touch with her, so I was going to ask you to swing by campus to check on her since her parents are at work." Karen has now come back to the room, and it almost sounds like she is inside, her voice sounds closer and closer.

"Uh...yeah. I-I think she's okay though. I saw her go home safe because from what I can remember, Andrew made us go home in the limo." Shawn tells his mom and tries to make it sound convincing.

All of a sudden, I feel a sneeze coming on, I subtly panic and try my best to hold it in and make it go away. Thankfully, it does and it only makes a slight sound that I hope Karen didn't hear.

"Good. Alright, I'm off. I have to go do a couple more errands before picking Aaliyah up from school, unless you're willing to do it. I think that'd make her really happy." I hear her voice get more distant so I slowly let out the breath that I didn't know I was holding.

"Yeah, sure, two thirty?" He asks her, I could still hear the pain in his voice.

"Yes, and please don't be late. You're picking up Olivia too." I zone out as they say their goodbyes and I wait patiently to hear the front door slam shut before getting up from the floor. Shawn closes his bedroom door and leans against it, holding his head in his hands.