Chapter 16: Remembering Aera

☾┋ 𝔞𝔲! 𝔳𝔞𝔪𝔭𝔦𝔯𝔢 𝖉𝖔𝖈𝖙𝖔𝖗

➳ 𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 16

note: 𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕚𝕤 𝕒 𝕨𝕠𝕣𝕜 𝕠𝕗 𝕗𝕚𝕔𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟.  

La douleur exquise

La douleur exquise

"(n) The heart wrenching pain of wanting the affection of someone unattainable. "

Moon Seojun POV

Seojun took his tenth shot of vodka, his throat burning, his heart crying Aera's name.

Aera was beautiful. She was the type of beautiful that he would fight for. But he realized, how can such beauty be the reason of his own sorrow?

He plainly recalled the day she saved his life—the day she gave him purpose. A purpose to live. A purpose to carry on with the hustle in his life. Evoking all nostalgic yet doleful memories, he recollected the time he took her out in the night carnival.

The skies were pitch dark however the fairy lights from the stalls beamed under the moonless night. Aera, all dressed casually, wore a simple white tee and ripped jeans that brought her back to the 90's. On the other hand, Seojun suited the modern trends of 2018 with a green bomber jacket, his youth flashing in the apparel he wore as they wandered from stall to stall.

"So why did you bring me here, Seojun? I thought we would be planning against Hellsing."

"I figured you needed to destress." He signaled the merchandiser to hand him the large apeach stuffed toy, abruptly handing him the money as he received it, quickly laying it on Aera's arms that hugged it tight.

"We've been friends for quite awhile yet you knew I'd like stuff toys." She said.

"Well, you can never go wrong with stuffed toys. Stuffed toys are cures for a girl's broken heart." He hints on her break-up with Junho, lightly patting the female's back.

Batting her eyelashes, she faced him with a feeble smile, nodding twice at his statement. "Yeah... Whenever I think about him... I... I fall apart. It was indeed my fault. I was dishonest. I deserve this."

Indeed, one's emotions can boomerang. Seojun felt her pain. He wanted to pull her into a hug, his hand was slowly raising to reach out for her however it was withdrawn as a dash of restrain pulled him back as his hands balled into a fist.

Nothing hurts more than watching the person you love suffer in pain because of someone else.

"Would you want to ride the Ferris wheel then?" Seojun, dismissing the previous topic, opened up his interest to bring her there.

"I think I'll die because I'm scared of heights but let's go for it then."

The path leading to the Ferris wheel had several food booths with incandescent blinking lights from their signage and extravagant set-ups. The two decided to get ice cream. His arms gestured to Aera who was carrying the stuffed toy to give it to him so he could carry it for her on his other hand, the latter giving her favorite scrumptious strawberry cheesecake treat.

"Hmm... You really are helping me destress. Things have been crazy at the hospital. Not to mention, the vampire problems add to it. " She replied, licking the swirly ice cream as the melted wobbles dripped down her fingers.

Both of them finished their ice cream, quickly disposing the wrappers on the bin while lining up for the ride. As soon as the pods were vacant, Seojun assisted Aera by lifting her up, holding her hand as she steps inside.

As the pod reached higher heights, they could grasp a picturesque view of the whole city. The fear and the chills rushed in as Aera ogled at the sight, her heart skipped a beat. Seojun had the urgency and the desire to hold her hand while they bask in the view. He shook his head, denying his thoughts.

The twilight faded into darkness, spirals of cosmic dust scattered around the pitch dark sky as the city below them looked magnificent in their eyes.

"Wow it really is so beautiful here." Aera tried to break the awkward tension between the two of them, taking slight glances on Seojun after looking down at the glass window, goosebumps creeping for she is scared of heights.

"You are beautiful." Seojun gave a straight-forward remark making Aera laugh, thinking it was a bluff.

"I never knew you liked joking around with me, Seojun. I thought you were different." She chuckled, her palms cupping her cheeks as she looked at him.

"It is the perfect time..." He thought to himself as he gathers the confidence to open up his feelings to her.

"If there is something I would choose to be serious with, I'd definitely choose you." He took her small hand, enclosing it with his.

"I...I... I'm so sorry." She looks down, avoiding his eye contact, not knowing what to say to his words.

"I really like you, Aera." Holding her hand tighter, he wanted to show how much he felt for her.

"I'm so sorry, Seojun." She repeated her statement once again, slowly releasing his hand, making it clear that friendship is the only thing she could offer.

With a fake chuckle, he replied. "I expected this. Can we pretend that I didn't say that?" His eyes were teary, he tried controlling the flow of tears however he failed.

"Ah... sure!" Taking her handkerchief from her bag, she leaned towards him, patting it softly on his upper cheek where his tears rolled down.

It made him feel worse, seeing how she comforted him after the rejection. The whole ride became silent. As they went down he figured that the day was a very eventful day like a Ferris wheel that goes up and down. He expected it. He expected the worst; it happened.

"Thank you so much, Seojun. I will cherish this day." The milky speckles danced along the night sky as a smile is tugged at the corner of Aera's lips. Her smile corrupted his mind, it was a harmful venom luring him in. "

Slapping himself back to reality, he gave a drunk loud cry, taking the whole bottle into his mouth, giving him a tidal wave of sadness.

He knew Aera will be never be his.

He knew that Aera was forever gone.