AUAOD- Mama

I didn’t get very far before I finally noticed someone. Or something, I didn’t know quite what it was. It LOOKED like a person, but I could be entirely wrong.

          It looked like a woman. She had on a big dress with black lace running down the sides. I was looking at her back, but she had something strapped onto her face. I couldn’t tell what it was, but it was defiantly something strange.

          I took a chance. I walked up to her slowly, and began looking at her from head to toe. Then I walked over to the front of her, and I widened my eyes in horror.

          She had on a grey dress, with the black lace all over the front of the dress. There was some type of fur collar, it almost looked like she had killed a fox and skinned it to make it her dress collar. She also had on a gas mask, and it covered her whole face. And she had long wavy brown hair which flowed over her shoulders.

          “Uhh, hello,” I smiled weakly and gulped. “How are you?”

          “Fine.” The lady snapped back. Her voice sounded distant, muffled and contained because of the mask.

          “That’s good...” I stood there, looking at her. I couldn’t even see her eyes. They were hidden by the mask and I wanted to tug it off. I reached up to her face and she swatted my hand away quickly.

          “Little boy! Don’t you know that it is rude to tug off one’s mask?” She said loudly and sharply. She reminded me of an evil teacher.

          “I’m sorry... I just wanna see...” I said and took a small step back. The lady re-adjusted her mask and went storming off. With nothing better to do, I followed her.

          “What’s your name?” I puffed and struggled to walk with her. She slowed down a tiny bit.

          “Names don’t matter here.” She said.

          “Well they do to me!” I exclaimed. She looked down at me, and then straight ahead.

          “Mother War.” She said. I looked up at her like she was crazy.

          “Yeah, okay,” I said sarcastically. “What’s your REAL name?”

          “I just told you.”

          “No, what is your real name? Mother War can’t be your real name.”

          “Why not?” She countered.

          “Because it just can’t be!” I snapped. “Mom’s and Dad’s don’t go around naming their children weird names like that!”

          “Who said that my mother and father called me this?” She asked. I stopped and put my hands on my hips.