||14||

I reluctantly untangle myself from the warmth and safety of Newts arms as I see something blinking inside the freshly killed Griever. Warily, I walk over to the creature, despite Newt and Minho's protests, and crouch to get a better look at the blinking light. My eyebrows furrow in confusion as I pull out the cylindrical piece of machinery from the body of the Griever. The two boys, who have joined me by now, move closer to get a better look at the strange object.

"What d'ya suppose it is?" Newt asks, glancing up at Minho and I. The other boy just shakes his head, having no ideas on it's significance, however a though comes up in my thoughts.

"Hold on, I think I might have an idea," I sat, walking towards the locked gate area in front of our group. "What if it's a sort of key? Planted by whatever freaks are runnin' this klunk show."

As I hold up the machinery to the rock gate, the door lifts up, creating a path for us to walk through. With a glance a a beckoning wave back to the large group of boys, I run through the gate towards where Thomas mapped the Griever Hole at. Somehow, all of us manage to get to the cliff without any more problems or confrontations, and I skid to a stop at the ledge. I turn around as I hear Thomas begin to explain how it works.

"Alright, when Minho and I were first here, we found out a little hole or somethin' that you can't see about five feet away from the edge. I think that may be where we get outta this place." MInho nods before he starts to continue the explanation.

"What we're goin' to do is either Thomas or I am gonna give ya a boost to get in, and Charlie'll find where to put in the code words we found."

"Who's goin' first? Y'know, just to test it out." Chuck asks nervously, picking at his fingers. I glance past him as a person moving catches my attention.

"I'll go, to make sure all of ya have a nice landin' and don't bruise yer sittin' things." A boy, whose name I don't know says as he steps up. There's no arguments from anybody, so he walks over to Minho, who proceeds to toss him to where the Griever Hole supposedly is.

Every one of the Gladers behind me watches with anticipation to find out the fate of the unknown boy. They all erupt in gasps as his body disappears midair before our eyes, and everyone's hesitation disappears as they wait their turn to go. Newt gently hold my waist as he gets ready to throw me off the cliff, my eyes wander over to where Minho is, about to throw Chuck into the Hole. Newt leans down to whisper in my ear before I leave his arms.

"Just put in the words, you'll do great, love. I'll see ya down there." He whispers with a smile. I close my eyes, quietly debating what I'm about to do before I decide, screw it. I turn my head towards him, and gently place my lips on his, and after a moment, Newt kisses back. "Wha-why?" he asks, confusedly.

I chuckle at his response, and quickly explain. "I like you too, Salamander."

Newt just smiles as he places a kiss on the top of my head, then throws me into the Griever Hole. I watch as the Maze disappears and I fall into a small, metallic room, and the boy catches me. As soon as my feet hit the ground, I walk over to a keypad sticking out of the wall. By the time I've reached the wall, all of the boys are in the room behind me, and I turn around to get the paper with the passwords from Newt. Using all of my concentration, I type the words into the keypad, taking my time.

FLOAT

CATCH

BLEED

DEATH

STIFF

I double, then triple check all five of the words carefully, making sure I made no errors, then I push the button to my right. The entire sum of our group stares in awe mixed with confusion as art of the floor opens up, revealing a tin slide of sorts. Newt, Minho, and I discuss quietly what to do, but we quickly decide for Minho to go down first a check out the area first. He walks over to the slide, gives me a salute, then slides down.

"Look out below!" were his last words before he disappeared into the darkness. God I hope he's okay.

Everyone sat in an almost worried silence for what felt like hours, but in reality was only about five minutes, until suddenly, a quiet yell cut through the silence. It was Minho, calling up to confirm that the area was indeed safe. Almost a hundred heads whipped around to me to see what to do next. I smirk, looking around at them, then turn to Newt, pecking him on the chekk.

"What're ya waitin' for pansies?" I say, "let's go! See ya all down there!"

And with that, I slide into the darkness below me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm so so sorry for not updating, but thank y'all for 966 reads! I promise I'm working on chapter 15 right now, and it should be out within two weeks!

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed this chapter!