||11||

The sound of Grievers on the roof of the homestead above us wakes me up. I sit up, still entangled in Newts arms, and look around at everyone. Their faces are all plastered with a look of pure terror, the only person looking composed is, unsurprisingly, Alby. We're all sat there waiting for something to happen, whether it's bad or good, just something. Everyone's heads snap up to look at the roof, as one of the Grievers walks on it. Most people sit in terrified silence, and a few whimpers are heard. Newts arms tighten around me, almost like he's trying to assure both of us the Grievers won't hurt me.
Shrieks cut through the silence when suddenly a Griever breaks though the roof. The false sense of security from being in Newts arms is lost as the robotic creature drags Chuck through the roof. In a flash, both Thomas and I are out of the door and grabbing Chucks arms in an attempt to save him. After a short, but rough, game of tug of war with the Griever, Chuck is released from its claws. As soon as Chucks on his feet, the three of us are running back to the homestead as fast as our legs can carry us, none of us willing to risk getting caught as well.
By the second that Thomas, Chuck, and I bust through the door to the Homestead, Newt is already about to blow his top at us. The door slams shut behind the three of us, and everyone goes silent, then Newt speaks.
"What the hell was that? Did ya even think about what ya were doing when ya ran after the Grievers? All three of ya could've died! Did ya think about that?" He says, his voice growing louder with every word he speaks.
"Yes we did! We knew what could happen, but we couldn't let Chuck die! He's like a little brother to Thomas and I! Why do ya even care? It's not ya're the one dying!" I retort back at Newt.
His face softens a bit as I talk, finally starting to seem like he understands why I had to go after the Griever. Newt walks over to me, taking long strides across the Homestead, and takes me into his arms.
"'M sorry, Charls. One of 'em took Alby when ya were outside. I can't lose ya too, not both of ya."
I grip him tighter as I he tells me what happened to one of his closest friends, and our leader. Newt lets me out of the hug, and we both head over to a place to sit, his arm still around me, keeping me close.
After what feels like only a few minutes, Thomas, Minho, Newt, and I all head upstairs to discuss what to do next. Thomas and Minho sit on chairs next to the bed that Newt and I sit on. Grey darkness seals through the window from outside, holding promises of bad things coming.
"This is the closest I've been to hangin' it all up," Newt says, "Shuck it all and go find a Griever. The walls not closing just adds to the top of the shucking pile. But now's not the time, the people who sent us here want us dead or they're testing us. So we've got to either work our arses off til we're dead or we've passed."
The three of us just nodded in agreement. We all knew that's what we have to do, but if the others thought like me, we had no ideas of what to do. I glance around at the three boys in the room with me, all of the had blank, expressionless looks on their faces.
"That's it, we need to man the hell up, stop wallowing I self pity." Minho, Newt, and Thomas's heads all snap up towards me as I begin to speak, "There are dozens of boys out there who don't know what to do, and we need to help them and make sure they don't die."
Minho nods, agreeing with me. He stands up and beings to talk.
"I'm with Charlie. We gotta stop sitting around and feeling bad for ourselves and think of the others down there. Tomorrow morning, when everyone wakes up, ya three make teams to study maps while the runners go out to see if anything's changed. We'll pack extras so that we can stay out for a few days." Minho says, rubbing his hands together.

------------------------
Hey guys!!! I'm so sorry for not posting for almost a month, but I'm back now. I didn't really have any motivation to continue this book, and I didn't really know how to continue form where I left off, but I'm going to try to post chapters more often! And thank y'all so much for 484 reads!