Chapter 47 | Adanya

june 8th 1991 // 3.51 am // Santa Barbara Hospital

You can say all you want about pregnancy and the pain, stress and all the changes it brings. But one thing is for sure - it's probably the best feeling in the world, carrying another human inside your body.

Aria's time of having a giant human filled belly has run out. As she lays on the hospital bed, she breathes deeply through the contractions. "This ain't fun," Aria groans.

"Oh c' mon, she's almost here!" Janet grins in amusement.

"You've been saying that for the past 6 hours and yet this kid isn't ready to come out of me." She speaks and pauses to breathe again. "And where the hell is Michael?"

"He's taking a nap in the next room." Rebbie yawns.

"Sure, because giving birth is so exhausting." Aria rolls her eyes. Her mood swings are at total force today.

"At least some irony is coming out of you." Janet laughs.

"Oh, shut up!"

Michael was excited (to say the least) when Aria woke him up saying that the contractions had started. He proudly grabbed the hospital bag they had prepared last week and left the house completely aware that when he returned, his heart would be as full as it could be - he would return home as a father.

"Speaking of the devil," Rebbie smoothly murmurs as Michaels walks through the door.

"Sorry, I sat down for a minute and fell asleep," Michael explains while rubbing his sleepy eyes.

"Hm," Aria responds simply.

"What? You okay, love?" He approaches her bed and reaches out for her exposed shoulder.

"Another one's coming," she whines in pain.

"Here, take my hand-" Michael offers his hand and Aria squeezes without thinking twice.

"I'll break it," she manages to let out a gaspy giggle.

"I can take it," Michael assures her.

"How's our soon to be mother doing?" Doctor George walks in the room with a folder in his hand. "She's taking her time, huh?"

"It seems so," Aria smiles tiredly. "I guess she enjoys the womb."

"They all do," the doctor analyses the monitors next to Aria's bed. "It's been her space of development and growth for 9 months then all of a sudden she's pushed out of it. It has to be weird."

"Everything okay, over there?" Mike points to the monitors and Dr. George nods firmly. Honest to God, seeing Aria in this much pain is making him very anxious. She's trying her best not to worry him but the pain is part of the process.

"You're only 4 centimeters dilated, it's still going to take at least an hour or more." Dr. George starts analyzing Aria's blood pressure.

"Is there anything we can do to rush the dilation?" Rebbie asks, taking a sip of her coffee.

"I've heard sex works," Janet speaks, making every gaze turn in her direction. Michael bursts out laughing.

"Well, sex is what got me into this mess-" Aria is interrupted by George.

"It does help, actually. But we're in a hospital and the bed isn't at all comfortable." He clears his throat, clearly enjoying the look on the pregnant woman's face. "We have spicy food available though, it's just as efficient."

"That I would like," Aria sighs. "Can I get some spicy chicken wings from KFC?"

"Yes!" Michael cheers. "I could eat that too right now."

Dr. George smiles. "Yes, I can make that happen."

*

After another 3 hours, Aria was finally completely ready to give birth to their baby daughter. "It's good pain," she said when Michael skipped a breath while she pushed. Even suffering, Aria wanted to make sure Michael was okay.

"One more push, Aria." Gabriella, the nurse, spoke while holding Aria's legs. "Almost done, you're doing an amazing job, Mama."

"And," Dr. George smiled behind the mask when he finally got the baby in his hands. "She's here."

*

"I keep replaying that second in my head..." Aria forces her voice out. She's so physically exhausted that even speaking seems to be difficult.

Michael takes his eyes from the baby sleeping in his arms. He looks at the lady he loves, laying on that bed, looking tired yet immensely gorgeous. The fact that he got to see her go through this past few hours and bring their child in the world... She's the strongest woman I know, he thinks.

"...that second when I felt her out of me," Aria confesses and they both laugh. "I loved being pregnant and all but having her out here with us," she slowly reached out to caress her child's head. "This right here, this our life."

"I know," Michael leaned to kiss Aria's forehead. "I think I'm exploding with love right now," he smiles excitedly. "You're incredible, Ari. I love you both so much I can't even express myself right now." The thing is - he could express himself. Michael's eyes say it all. They always do and she sees it.

"Adanya," she whispers, her eyes never leaving her daughter's peaceful features. "Adanya Jackson."

"THAT'S THE NAME?" Janet screams out of nowhere.

"Shut the hell up, you'll wake her." Michael whispers, holding his daughter closer to his warm chest.

"I thought you were sleeping," Aria raises her head from the pillow.

"Bitch, I'm always alert." Janet yawns and stands up. "Adanya, huh? Couldn't have picked an uglier name?"

"Excuse me?" Aria raises an eyebrow, knowing that Janet is just messing around. "Michael and I decided that we would only pick the name when we saw her and..." she breathes deeply. "Now that I've taken a good look, that's my suggestion." She stares at Michael, waiting for an opinion.

"I like the sound of that. African origin?" He asks.

"Yeah, it means..." Aria pauses and directs her gaze to the baby again. "...her father's daughter."

"Oh," Michael's eyes sparkle. "I... love that."

"She is all you indeed, bro. It's crazy I can see a lot of Aria in her too." Janet takes a closer look at her niece. "She's beautiful... Adanya... Yeah, auntie Janet approves."