Chapter 44 | Kicks

~5 months later~

The bubbles in the water cover Aria's body. She's tense and her back is starting to hurt a bit more each day. Even though it all comes with a bit of discomfort, she's feeling more in tune with her body than ever! Aria could stare at her belly for hours and not feel a single insecurity.

She lets out a long sigh, anytime now that phone will ring and she'll hear his voice.

Michael has been in rehab for five months. The funny thing about it is that he chose to stay for all this time - he wanted to feel completely free from any kind of substance and now he is.

"Hey, you." The phone finally rang and she is the first to speak.

"Gosh, I am missing you," Michael hoarsely speaks on the other line

"Well, good for you it's your last day there." Aria smiles. "I'm really proud of you."

"You say that every time," he chuckles.

"And I will continue to," she strikes back softly. "I can't wait for you to come home."

"Believe me, I can't wait too-" he stops for a second. "Where are you?" Aria accidentally splashed her left hand in the water and he heard it.

"Huh... In the bathroom-" she whispers. "In the bathtub..."

"Oookay, don't do this to me. I've been locked up for five months."

"Locked up... you're so dramatic." Aria laughs, blowing some bubbles off her hand.

Michael sighs - "It's been torture."

"Oh, I'm sure it has..." she lowers her voice tone, sounding raspy and provocative. "Oh my God!" She gasps.

"What?! What is it?" Michael responds in a hurry.

"It kicked. The baby just kicked me!" Aria drags her hands to her voluminous belly and strokes it softly. "Michael, you have to feel this - oh, there's another one."

"Really?! I want to go home right now!" Aria is too busy rubbing her stomach to even reply. "Ari? Aria are you there?" He asks excitedly.

"Get your ass here then!!" She enthusiastically shouts. "This is unbelievable - JANET, COME IN HERE!"

"I'm on my way!" Michael hangs up and starts packing his stuff. He's not supposed to leave the facility until 6 pm, but he doesn't care.

He's not missing out on this.

*

"Hey baby," Janet lays her head on top of Aria's belly. "This is your auntie... the best auntie of them all, okay? Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, I'm the freaking best."

Aria chuckles, "Stop manipulating my child."

"Oh, this is just the beginning." Janet drags her body up and snuggles with Aria. "So, you're still up for the baby shower tomorrow?"

"Of course! And Michael will be home so it's like... perfect timing."

"I'm happy for him, his determination to get clean was overwhelming." Janet comments.

"Yeah... I'm truly relieved, it's as everything is coming back to normal now, you know? Whatever normal is for us..."

"Hun, I guess this is as normal as it gets... But what will you guys do when this gets out into the media?" She asks, hoping that she didn't just ruin the mood.

"I don't think too much about it, whatever we decide people will know someday and we just have to live with the fact that they'll twist everything." Aria sighs, gazing at the clock. He should be here by now, she thinks.

"I'm scared for you," Janet admits.

"Why?" Aria turns her head to face Janet again and lets out a chuckle.

"Because in the public eye you two are... brother and sister and-"

"But actually, we're not," Aria imposes firmly.

Janet looks up and smiles. "I like when you talk like that," Aria furrows her eyebrows together, waiting for an explanation. "Fearlessly."