Chapter 10: Shitty Weddings, Shitty People

I hated dresses.

Absolutely everything about them, the way they hung around your shoulders, the way they were supposed to "compliment your curves." I wasn't one to actually try on my appearance, I barely put on mascara and once in a while I'd put lipgloss on for a party. God forbid I actually try to comb down my thick brown hair, it's half of the reason I put it up all the time anyway.

That's why I was extremely uncomfortable sitting in the back of my mom's 2016 sedan next to my juvenile older brother while listening to taylor swift's shake it off.

Did I mention I was in a dress?

"Now honey remember to smile during the bridesmaids pictures, we don't want another constipated face incident like freshman year." My mom tapped her thumb to the beat of the song while smoothing out her dark blood red dress.

I could have whined and threw a fit about how I didn't want to be here, but in retrospect I should have known leaving the camp for the day would have its consequences.

"Where are you going?" Carson said with a pout, he put his left hand on his hip and tried to shake off all the dirt on his cleats with the other.

"I told you, my uncle is getting married for the 3rd time, it's a big deal." I said rolling my eyes.

Of course he wouldn't remember.

"When did you tell me this?"

"We were with the girls, Indi and Ellie...." He crinkled his eyebrows, "It was at breakfast yesterday?"

"Ohhh right." He said laughing at his own dysfunctional brain.

"I must have been cut off by the jeans you were wearing yesterday, your ass looked gr-" I cut off his banter before he could continue.

"That's enough dingbat."

"So you're going to be in a dress and everything?" Sebastian said from the tree he was sitting on to watch Carson practice.

"Yes Sebastian, I will be wearing a dress." I shuddered at the thought of my mother even trying to put foundation on me.

"Dang wish I could be there, imagine you actually looking like a girl for once."

I flipped him off before returning to face Carson who was crinkling his eyebrows in concern, "Is your brother going to be your date?"

"Ew! I'm going as a single woman thank you very much."

"Wait you're a woman?" Sebastian smirked from the tree making me pick a rock up from the ground and throw it dangerously close to his nuts.

"Alright well have fun, but not to much fun." Carson waved his finger around at me like I was a 6 year old going to my friends house for a play date.

"Yeah we don't need you getting knocked up from a casual hook up at your uncle's wedding."

"Not funny Sebastian." I said shaking my head at his severe stupidity.

"Yeah not funny Sebastian." Carson uttered behind me. "If you actually do make it back by 7 we're probably going to be outside by the campfire."

I wondered if I'd even be up to seeing my friends after this horrendous wedding, knowing me I'll probably be so emotionally and physically drained I wouldn't even make it back to the cabin.

"Does this tie make me look stupid?" Jackson voiced beside me making me stop and stare at him dumbfounded.

"You look stupid? I'm wearing freaking red lipstick!" I whisper yelled making a scoff escape his mouth.