Chapter 17: The Stupid Creek

This is a long one.

Quick reminder: Remember this is still in past tense, she's reminiscing of how "awful" the past two days have been.  If you don't quite remember I recommend you go do a quick skim of the beginning of chapter 15 so you understand.

Does that make sense? No. Okay.

Just read and find out.

Also I know it's long but trust me you're gonna want to read till the end.

Sunday Morning.
I could feel the light reflecting off my face as I shimmied out of my sleeping bag. The pounding headache was enough to send a kindergarten kid crying home, it took me a moment to register where I was.

I decided to go on a trip with a group of counselors and stay for two nights because I am hopelessly devoted to one of the boys and that scares me beyond reasoning.

Right, now I remember.

I walked over to small clearing that leaded to the creek, where I sat dangling my legs off the side. It felt nice having a few moments to soak in the silence, only the sounds of mother nature to fill my head.

It was a nice distraction from the confusing cogitation that was my darkened mind.

"You're up." I turned my head to see a freshly woken Carson Parker. His messy black hair stood facing all directions and his white shirt clinged to him making my stomach squeeze in whatever desperate attempt I had for my heart not to jump out of my chest and be served to him in a silver platter.

Not again Bree, get a grip on yourself.

"Hey."

He strode over, sitting closer to me then I intended. "Last night was kind of crazy." He let out a raspy laugh, his morning voice at full glory.

"I wouldn't say crazy... more like stupidly unsatisfactory." He chuckled at my response before scratching the back of his neck, I successfully broke my eye contact at his rippled arm muscles and stared at the air particles floating beside me.

Why was I feeling this now? Why out of all the times I could be feeling this, I felt this now. I want to say a switch clicked while I was asleep, that when I went to sleep I immediately started having these feelings.

But I've had them for a while.

Carson wouldn't like me though, which in some way was a relief. If he didn't like me I wouldn't have to worry about the heart break of when I eventually left camp. I was going to have to go back home at some point, where I would spend the rest of senior year hiding from Shane until the one day I finally get released from the hell hole and move far far away.

"Can I ask you something Jones? I want you to be perfectly honest with me because this question has been digging at me for a while now?" I looked over to face Carson but he was lost in thought, his eyebrows scrunched.

I shrugged, feeling his intense gaze on my left side. The whole air had thickened and suddenly I felt as if I could no longer breathe. Whether it was from how drastic the mood changed from us just sitting in silence enjoying the forest air, or whether it was from anticipation from his following question.

"Why don't you talk to anybody? Your obviously hurt, I just feel like-... I feel like telling somebody would kind of release some of the pressure. It helps, if that makes any sense?" I was taken a back at his words, trying to compose my million thoughts into a proper sentence.