Chapter 23

It's been about a week and we're still in the hospital, but the doctor said tomorrow or the next day I could be discharged as long as I came back for a monthly check-up for a few months to check on my brain function due to the memory loss. 

Kenneth stroked his chin dramatically as he thought out his next move in our checkers game. I laughed as he raised an eyebrow at me and moved one of his red checkers pieces right in the direction of one of my black pieces, leaving it and the one behind it open to be jumped and captured by me. I laughed and made my move, collecting the pieces excitedly as I smiled up at him. He sighed in defeat, but I saw the smile on his face as he watched me do a happy dance in my seat on the hospital bed. 

"Crown me, my good sir!" I laughed as he had to give up one of his pieces and place it on my piece at his end of the board.

"Yes, my love." he sighed dramatically as I laughed and watched him crown my piece. 

He made his next move and so on, but I could see through his games. He was letting me win. It made the game slightly boring but I knew he was doing it to see me smile, so I acted overly excited to be winning to amuse him some more before I called him out on his antics. 

And so the day went on with us just playing board and card games before it was time for bed again. 

*************

The next day I was discharged almost as soon as I opened my eyes. The doctor checked my vitals and said I was free to leave. Kenneth signed all the paperwork while I changed into normal people clothes from the hospital gown and we met up when he was done. 

"Ready to go?" he asked, holding his arm out for me to take as he carried my backpack that had previously help my clothes. 

I nodded happily and let him lead me out the doors and to his black truck. It looked fairly new, but I didn't know if I'd been in it before. 

"It's new, so it won't help with gaining any of your memories back. Sorry." he explained, almost reading my mind. 

"It's okay." I told him, reaching up on my tip-toes to kiss his cheek and watched his face brighten. 

"What was that for?" he asked, touching the spot I'd just kissed. 

Shrugging, I let him help me into the truck, and before he closed the door, I smiled down at him. "For being an amazing boyfriend." 

He grinned so wide and stood on the step bar he had on his truck, leaning in close to my face, but let me decide if I was ready to kiss him. And I was. 

I leaned in also and pressed our lips together in a soft, sweet kiss. "You being an amazing girlfriend makes being your boyfriend easy." he whispered as we broke apart. 

I giggled at his flirt as he grinned, winking at me before dropping to the ground and closing my door for me before making his way to the driver's side. He climbed in smoothly and started up the truck, taking us home. 

We would be staying in his parent's house for a while, he'd told me, to try to spark some of my memories. Eventually we'd move into a house that was already built for the two of us, he'd gone on further. I didn't mind either which way, just as long as he was with me. I felt most comfortable with him than anyone else. 

The drive was quiet and long, getting me thinking. "Hey, Kenneth?" I began, to get his attention. He hummed in response and waited as I went on. "Those men that shot me," I saw him go tense, but remain silent. "What happened to them?" I asked, watching his reaction.