NAOMI (Iselen P.O.V)

Start from the beginning

"What the hell is going on?" The vampire's voice sounds slightly angry in my mind. Fuck, sometimes I forget we can talk this way but it's not my fault, I think my brain is numb due to shock.

- This place's very beautiful – says Ruby to break the silence.

- Babe – I hold her hand flashing a fake smile on my face – Do you know that Naomi has been in Madhya? She went with her father some years ago... and the crown prince took her to the royal palace's gardens...

- Seriously? – The Sorceress raises an eyebrow – I didn't know that girls from high class could travel abroad as part of their education – Naomi smiles amused.

- They don't do it but my family's shipping company offers me the opportunity to travel that other girls don't have.

- I understand...And what kind of educations girls get here? The art of social conversation I guess... but also playing music, dancing, drawing, singing maybe?

- Yes of course, music is an essential part of our education. I play the flute and sing beautifully.

- I'm sure you do. But tell me... how was your visit to Madhya?

- Oh! I was telling your partner about that. It was a wonderful summer and the prince was lovely, unfortunately my dad decided that it was time for us to come back home and I have to say goodbye to him in a hurry. I offered him to join me and, you know, stay here with me for a while but he couldn't bring himself to leave his family. It was a pity, we had a beautiful bond, one of those that makes feeding process easy. My plan was going back the following year but dad decided that it was time to change our residence and the trading port so we stayed further north next summer. This is the first time one of our ships goes back to Madhya in 50 years or so but dad sent Koji since nobody knew him there.

- Of course, you can't go back for another few years – Naomi nods while she walks back to the main house pointing at some trees and explaining where they come from but I'm not listening to her because I'm too busy sending my thoughts to my vampire.

"Do you think she's the 'nightingale'?"

"Of course she's," Ruby rolls her eyes hard.

"She has no idea of the mess she left behind her... should we tell her?"

"Well, it's not her fault if Gana got it wrong, he was meant to be only a... supplier and not the love of her life. When it comes to these situations vampires usually explain it very clear so they avoid any misunderstanding: I don't think she said that she loved him, he probably made a mess of things in his head. I don't know... I like Koji and Akira seems a nice guy... I wouldn't want to cause them sadness. Let's keep the secret for now, we always can tell them later if necessary."

I nod at Ruby putting my arm around her waist, she places her arm over my shoulders in response and we walk slowly through the gardens following our hostess. Temperature is perfect and the flowers smell heavenly... I can't help yawning, the moon is high in the sky and even if I've slept well I'm not used to this nocturnal way of life. The main building at the back of the garden is softly illuminated by lanterns but Naomi takes a side path till we reach one wing where buildings are brightly lit, the open doors let me see the interior of the richly decorated room where several women, obviously human, are waiting... I open my eyes wide due to the shock and the Sorceress clears her throat next to me. Our hostess turns around to look at us frowning.

- Can I ask you a question? – Ruby nods with an amused smile while I keep looking at the room more and more appalled – Does she taste different? – She points at me with her head grabbing my attention, I stare at her confused – I mean... I can't even imagine how the bond you have works and I don't fully understand how intense your feelings for her are... I didn't even believe that this kind of relationship was possible, I thought it was a vampire legend, but... how is her blood? Is it sweeter? Richer?