Chapter 71 - In which the Weasley twins return to Hogwarts

Start from the beginning

She chose to use her name. Lily Fowler, her baby girl, chose the persona of Emilia Fowler when she wanted to feel powerful.

For that reason alone, Emilia Fowler was confident her baby girl was going to be just fine.

Ben, on the other hand, was more concerned about the mental state of his barely living boyfriend, a man who was trapped in his memories, living a fate worse than Azkaban.

***

Alone in his office, it takes a moment for Severus Snape to realise something was off. It starts with the same nagging thought in the back of his head telling him to find out whether Malfoy completed the task he set him. Things have become too treacherous and with Dumbledore gone, shouldering the burden of two hotheaded impulsive teenagers was not the way he thought fate would bless him.

The son of the girl he still cannot seem to let go of, despite his uncanny arrogant resemblance to his father. Perhaps its' because he never really got to apologise or explain his actions to her. Or perhaps a part of him always wanted her to see him as the hero she did when they were children. 

Her best friend and confidant.

To think he once believed he could reconnect with her. In another world where she was able to live and watch her son grow up, a world where the Dark Lord was no longer a threat, another chance for him to let her know despite his actions, they were never intended to hurt her.

A fool's dream.

Then there's Lily- his Lily.

His love for her surpasses that for Evans in a way he never thought would be possible. Of course, he still held Emilia in strong regards and fond memories, but the burning desire to physically use every ounce of his ability to ensure the protection of Lily - of his own flesh and blood - it was both suffocating and freeing. The pride of watching her grow was quickly replaced by the need to protect her. Unlike Evans though, this feeling is exponentially growing. No potion, no distractions, no reassurances from anyone would help ease the worry he had for his little girl.

It makes the distance between them feel all the more painful.

Severus leans against the desk, exhaling shakily. The tremble in his hands is hidden as his grip tightens. His one and only weakness. Ensuring her safety took priority over everything- even if it meant allowing the likes of Weasley to get close to her. Then Malfo- incompetent Malfoy, who allowed his own problems get in the way of their progress.

A cold shiver runs down his spine as he shuts his eyes momentarily. Although every part of him wants to find her and ensure she's hidden far away from the dangers of this impending war, seeking her out would only draw more attention. The Dark Lord already has his suspicions. Knowing the true lineage of Lily would be signing her death certificate.

The night is well underway when Severus releases his grip on the table, his fingers stiff from the lack of circulation. Yet the feeling of dread does not leave his heart.

"Something is wrong," he mutters to the empty room. Grabbing his wand, he whispers the usual spell to reveal the hidden painting. The only painting of Ben and Emilia, a wedding gift. But also his only way to communicate with his old friend, the only other person who could perhaps understand the painful burden it is to be a father. Emilia left the painting long ago, but Ben was often around to give him an echo of the man Lily believes to be her father. To remind him of why he kept the secret; the sacrifices he made to ensure her survival.

His worst fears amplify as the empty black frame stares back at him.

"Something is very wrong."