Chapter 49 - In which Snape shows his true colours

Practically running through the hallways, I manage to catch up with the dark cloaked figure. 

"Professor!" I call out but the figure doesn't stop. This is bad. It's worse than I thought it would be. I can almost feel the anger rolling out of him as he goes into his room and shuts the door behind him. Panting slightly, I scowl at the door. Is he really stooping to these childish means of literally keeping me out? He clearly doesn't know who I am or he's clouded with his anger. 

If there's one thing I know how to do well, it's get through Snape's locked doors. Many a times I've had to use this skill to get into Snape's room either to hide from a nightmare, or to be nosy about all the things he would want to keep secret or just generally to feel like I have somewhere that I feel like I belong. 

Taking my wand out, I mutter a spell but it doesn't work. Smiling to myself grimly, I take a pin out of my hair and push it through the keyhole. Snape has never understood how I've managed to get through all his enchantments when in actual fact, I never try to. I just use this muggle method to get through the physical lock and it almost always works. 

Squinting slightly, I twisted the pin until I hear the satisfying click. I straighten myself and push open the door. Snape's already waiting for me, but of course, he knew that the door would only buy him a few seconds. Seconds that he must have used to plaster the worst look on his face that I've ever seen. 

His eyes are dark, unforgiving, almost scary. His bottom lip is white as it quivers and I find myself trembling ever so slightly. Never have I seen my guardian as angry as this. 

"Pro-" I start but the flash of anger in his eyes just stop me.

"Plea-" 

"Uncle Sev," I say in a ringing voice with as much courage as I can muster. I rarely call Snape 'uncle'. It's something I used to do when I was younger, but as I grew up and came to Hogwarts, I didn't want to be connected to Snape like that anymore. Especially when I got sorted into Gryffindor. Merlin knows what the rest of my peer group would have done if they had known the truth. 

Snape's eyes, however, do not soften. Instead they harden if that's even possible. 

"Let me explain. It's not what you think," I start.

"Explain? I think I know quite well what was happening," Snape snaps, his voice mimicking his demeanour making me wish he'd go back to just glaring at me. "You have decided that your father's legacy means nothing to you. You're not only being foolish enough to put yourself in danger, but you're dragging other people in your mess too. I should have known this would happen." Snape's words hit me like cold daggers. "Pathetic, weak downright stupid," he hisses as I blink at him. 

It's like I can't recognise the man in front of me. Yes Snape has gotten angry at me before, but this is something else. I suppose it has been brewing for a while since I have been pushing him away and we have been arguing, but still - this is hurtful. 

Fuming, Snape clenches his hands into tight fists.

"I am not a fool. I am not tarnishing my father's legacy. I am doing every single thing I possibly can to make sure his dying wishes are respected!" I retort out, my voice wavering slightly. Snape's outburst has make me feel uneasy. I don't even have any excuses for him this time. Usually I would consider the fact that he's got a lot going on with Malfoy and the Dark Lord, that maybe he's been upset about the fact that I've abandoned our lessons or perhaps he remembers the hurtful words I said in our last proper encounter.

No.

Not this time.

I have no reason to excuse your words Severus Snape. I was out of line in the past, but you are my guardian. You are supposed to know better and set an example for me to follow. You're supposed to forgive me even when I don't ask for it. You're supposed to support me unconditionally, because that's what you do when you care about someone.