Chapter 48 - In which I have a debate about Dumbledore's age

My palms tingle as they cool down. It's happened again. How is it possible that this keeps on happening? When everything I try to do is to stop it from happening? 

Sobbing I stare at my palms. I don't know why, but every time I seem to be burning things. Making them too hot. Destroying them. The doll sits on the floor, half her face singed off. 

"Lily?" 

The voice gets clearer as I hear rapid footsteps. I don't want to be found. I don't want anyone to see what I've done. I don't want them to see all this. Carefully, I  touch the doll to make sure that I won't hurt it anymore. To my relief, nothing happens so I quickly place it into my box. The box is where I keep all the things that I hide and don't want anyone to see.

"Lily what are you doing?"  A voice says from behind me making me jump. Another sob escapes as I realise I've been caught. Two hands hold my shoulders and gently turn me so that I have to face him. His eyes are a brilliant blue as they scan my own in fear. 

"Lily what's wrong?" He says more gently. I just shake my head at him, hoping that he'll just give this up. But I know in my heart that he won't ever let this go. He always wants to know what makes me sad so that he can help me. But this is something that he can't help me with. There's something that's wrong with me.

"Lily my dear, what did I tell you about telling lies?" He asks in a low voice. I can hear the strict voice peaking through and I really don't like it. It makes me cry. It makes me cry a lot. 

"When you tell a lie, you're only cheating yourself," I say in a quiet voice. He smiles at me and nods. 

"Yes that's right. So how about you be honest and brave with me and tell me what's going on?" His voice is so calm and comforting that I can't help but glance at the box behind me hoping that he understands without me having to say a word. But of course he does. It's like he said- we're connected. 

His eyebrows burrow as he lifts up the lid and stares at the contents, shoulders dropping immediately. I hold my breath but he doesn't start shouting at me. Instead he turns to face me with tears in his eyes. Oh no. I've disappointed him so much he's crying! 

"I'm sorry," I whisper in between a sob.

"Oh my sweet Lily," he says suddenly as he kneels down next to me, the doll still in his hand. "Don't be sorry. You haven't done anything wrong," he says in a low voice but I just shake my head.

"I did that. It keeps on happening and I thought if I could hide it, it won't happen again." I say quickly as the sobs become more frequent and uncontrollable. 

His arms reach out and pull me towards his chest. His hand strokes my hair as he rocks me gently. 

"How long has this been going on for?" He asks and I just bury my head into his chest. "Lily I can't help you if you don't talk to me," he says when I don't reply.

"Maybe a while. Since Uncle Snape's birthday," I whisper as I feel him stiffen. 

"That long?" He says, his voice distraught. 

"I'm sorry!" I wail as I wrap my arms around his neck and hold him more tightly. 

"No no, you don't understand. I'm just shocked that you kept this a secret for so long!" He says as he holds me more tightly. "How does it happen?" He asks as he gently pulls me so that I am facing him.

"I don't know, I just got really upset that I couldn't find Ms Flower's pony and it just started happening," I say not meeting his eyes. He doesn't respond. Slowly, I glance up at his face but he's got his eyes closed as if he's concentrating.