Chapter 64 - In which Malfoy saves my life

"Don't say a word, I'm trying to save your life."

I'm trying to save your life.

Malfoy leans away and his grey eyes stare intently into my own as if he's trying to have a silent conversation with me. But I'm too bewildered to understand anything. He's trying to save my life?

How is that possible? 

I rack my brain for any evidence that suggested to me Draco Malfoy's interrogation was actually in the aim of saving my life. He has a really funny way of making me feel safe, what with the constant threats and abuse. 

Malfoy pauses for a second as if he's contemplating saying more, but then he looks away abruptly clearing his throat. 

"Tell me Lily, where is the diamond?" He says in a low voice using the same bored tone as before. My heart races in my throat and a surge of adrenaline rushes through my body. He's acting as if everything is the same but really I don't even know what's real or part of my imagination anymore. 

Did my deluded self hallucinate Malfoy say that? Is that what my life has come to? Have I seriously lost it? 

"Where is the diamond?" Malfoy repeats, this time his eyes widening a fraction, only confusing me beyond belief. My hands start to tremble as I just shake my head at him. I don't lose eye contact, but he gives nothing away. I don't know what I'm supposed to say. Malfoy's words ring in my ears, terrifying me to my bones. If all this has been some ruse to protect me, then I don't even want to consider what I'm going to face if I mess up now.

"You're going to have to speak up," Malfoy says sharply making me jump. 

"I don't know what you're talking about," I say in a louder voice, going against the plan I had moment ago. It's like Malfoy knew I had reached breaking point. As if he was waiting for me to submit and spill all my secrets. But then why would he do a complete U-turn? It just doesn't make any sense. None of this does.

You're a smart girl, you'll figure it out.

Okay Lily. Let's figure this out. What are the facts? Malfoy found me in the most non-magical place in this country and sent dementors after me. He trapped me in this stupid place, knowing all about the diamond. Every time I didn't give him the answer he wanted, he would knock me out with some crazy potion and spell which would only make me weaker when I woke up. 

Yet, when he reached the moment where I would have given him all the information he desired, he told me not to say a word. So what was the point of it all? Is this all some sort of twisted game? Perhaps some sort of payback for the way I treated him at the Manor?

Malfoy moves away abruptly. He straightens his jacket, his eyes still not giving any information away. There is still the possibility that this is all part of my imagination. Maybe I've already lost it and now I'm imagining this glimmer of hope. Maybe I'm dead, or worse, I haven't woken up from one of the blackouts. Maybe my mind is creating all this to protect me from the truth.

No.

I am not losing it. This is not some weird spell or potion or whatever. I refuse to believe it. Draco Malfoy has an ulterior motive and I am going to figure out what it is. 

As if he read my mind, Malfoy clears his throat and then without a backward glance at me, leaves the room. I stare at the empty doorway, my jaw hanging open. Never in all the time I've been here have I ever been left here alone. I've always been blacked out whenever Malfoy needed to leave or if I became too... unhelpful.

This is definitely not a dream.

Okay Lily. Think.

Malfoy knows about the diamond. He knows that I'm the only person that knows about it otherwise why would he be here interrogating me. His one question is about the location as opposed to what it's used for, why I'm searching for it, what my connection to it is, which means he doesn't need the answers to that. Or, the person he's reporting to doesn't need those answers.