Chapter 53 - In which the Potter transfer mission is initiated

"No." 

"Bu-"

"No Lily."

George's stony face doesn't flinch when I scowl nor when I ball my hands into tighter fists. Ginny doesn't meet my eyes but I know she's got the same irritated feeling as I. 

"What makes you think I'll even listen to you?" I hiss out before I can stop myself. But as soon as the words escape my mouth, I regret it. The flash of anger in George's eyes doesn't warn me about the absolute livid tone his voice would take as he grabs me by the shoulders.

"Lily so help me I will use any means necessary to make sure you stay here tonight. You're not going." George spits out, his fingers burying into my skin. I don't flinch, but instead purse my lips, keeping all retorts to myself. 

Shrugging myself out of George's grip, not even bothering to give him a look, I go up to my room. Kicking my trunk in annoyance, I use a pillow to muffle my scream of frustration. It's not fair. I don't need his permission to do anything and Merlin knows that tonight I will be out there just like him, but at the same time I feel angry that I wasn't even asked to be a part of this. I understand why Ginny has to stay at home, she's still underage, but I came of age months ago. This is all George's doing. Granger is even going; she specifically came to the Burrow so that she could be a part of this mission and here I am sidelined.

Well not really sidelined, since I will be fighting tonight. Just fighting on the wrong side. I haven't done any explicit Death Eater duties in a really long time, but I could not ignore the burn on my arm last week. Using the excuse of going for a walk, I made sure I was a safe distance away from the Burrow before I Apparated out to Malfoy Manor. Stepping into that house sickened me, but using all my strength to keep my thoughts secured, I made my way through the sea of Death Eaters. 

Thankfully, there are many different types of Death Eaters. Ones who are the first line of support to the Dark Lord including the likes of Bellatrix, Rookwood and my former guardian. Then there are those who are scrambling for the Dark Lord to recognise their efforts and become one of the trusted elite including the Malfoys, Avery, Nox. Then there are those who are the new Death Eaters who have yet to prove themselves including people from my peer group like the idiots Crabbe and Goyle. Those people have the most to fear as the Dark Lord doesn't know whether they are useful to him or not. 

Then there's people like me. Since joining the Death Eaters, I've done my fair share of work. Last summer I spent the year terrorising many Muggles with the bridge incident, never actually killing anyone though. Not deliberately at least. Then I went to Hogwarts to spend the rest of my year "helping" out with Malfoy's mission but anyone who knows me knew that I had no hand in the monstrosity that happened. 

Over this year the number of Death Eaters has grown so significantly that there's no real need for me to constantly check in. My use is limited with me being bound to Hogwarts, but with Dumbledore now gone, things will all change. I don't think I can get away with doing the bare minimum anymore. The thought frightens me as since I've become closer with George and Ginny, I haven't been as keen with the Dark Lord's actions. 

I've always known that becoming a Death Eater was a means to an end and a method of protecting me. But there was a certain degree of tolerance that I had for the Dark Lord's actions. There had to be otherwise I would be easily picked out as a traitor for my lack of enthusiasm. Now, being a Death Eater is more risky than it's worth. It still has it's perks. I get to hear whispers about what's going on and whether the Dark Lord suspects anything. In that way, having the ability to be undercover in enemy lines has proven to be invaluable. Perhaps Dumbledore in his wisdom knew that Snape would eventually return to the Dark Lord so keeping my secret would be riskier.