Chapter 14

Maria didn't break eye contact with John.
"Mar mar- Maria no..."
"John, I'm sorry-"
"Save your apologies for Eliza." John stood up and turned to walk away but Maria grabbed his wrist.
"Please John, don't go. Don't be mad, don't-"
"Don't what? Maria, how can I not be mad? You're pregnant with the child of my ex-boyfriend. You yourself have made bad decisions and I never was mad about them until now. Just, why Maria? Why?" John snatched his wrist out of her grasp.
"Maria, why'd you have to date James? Why'd you have to get back at Stephanie for whatever she's done? Why'd you have to do it that way? You could've just put itching powder in her bed or some shit but nooooo, you had to date her crush! And now we have Alex, who not only cheated on me but on Eliza, who's the purest thing in the world." John looked Maria dead in the eyes.
"Imagine having to tell her that you are pregnant with the child of her boyfriend, the one that she sacrificed so much for- the one that she loves. Imagine breaking her heart."
"John..." Tears welled in Maria's eyes as she reached out for his hands, but he moved away. He shook his head and walked back inside.
"John..." Maria whispered. She blinked back the tears that were threatening to spill over and made her way inside too, sitting in one of the chairs rather than on the couch with the others. John was with Peggy once again, arm over her shoulder protectively like once before. He didn't even spare Maria a glance.