Chapter 11

"Do you guys like anyone yet?" Maria asked. Her, Charles, and John were currently laying on the floor of an empty room that they called their hideout.
"Nope" The boys said in unison.
"Oh cmon- John you're surrounded by boys and you haven't caught any feelings?"
"Most of the guys I know are assholes so-"
"Don't fucking curse John" Charles interrupted.
"Hypocrite."
"Your mom's a hypocrite!"
"I'm in a room full of idiots" Maria mumbled, sitting up.
"Do you like anyone, Mar Mar?" John asked, sitting up also. Maria sighed.
"Yes, no, I don't know. Feelings are hard" she responded.
"What's up?"
"The sky."
"Wow."
"For real tho, what's up Maria?" Charles asked, propping himself up on his arm.
"It's not like I like a boy in particular, but I'm just scared to be lonely. Like what if no one likes me or something. There's always books and movies about heartbreak, I don't wanna go through that too. It sounds painful."
John put his hand on hers.
"It'll be alright Maria. Anyone that dumps you is an asshole, jerk, and doesn't deserve you."
Charles sat up and put is hand on her shoulder.
"And even if you do feel heartbroken, we'll be here with ice cream."
Maria smiled.
"Thanks guys."
"To be honest, I'm afraid no ones gonna like me too. It's not everyday you find a gay person" John confessed.
"...well, I have nothing to confess" Charles said.
"Let's go back to playing I-Spy" John suggested.
"I spy....something black and hairy" Maria said smirking.
"There's nothing black and hairy here-" Charles was cut off by a high-pitched scream from John.
"A spider!! BURN IT."
And that was the last time they were in their hideout.

~Present~

John curled up into the corner of the couch and hid under the blanket, screeching. Eliza looked into the hardwood floor and picked up a seemingly brown fuzz ball.
"John it's just some hair- KILL IT!" The fuzz started moving up Eliza's arm, then was violently shaken off by her. Both Eliza and John were in the corner of the couch, shaking with fear. Peggy rolled her eyes, yet kept her feet off of the floor. Alex stood up and stepped on the spider.
"There, better?" Alex asked. John and Eliza nodded, Maria and Peggy shrugged.
"Now what if that was like a poisonous spider? Huh? I could've died, and all I get is a shrug" Alex said dramatically.
"I mean, shrugs are nice man. And better you than me" John responded, shrugging also.
"Wow, if this is how my best friend treats me, then how do I know who my real friends are?" Alex flopped on the remainder of the couch.
"Woe is you or whatever" Peggy responded, smiling.
"Wow is me indeed, Peg leg." Alex patted Peggy's head.
"I'm friends with a bunch of weirdo's" Maria said, leaning on the arm of the couch.
"Looks like we've been hangin' with you too much" John said, smirking at her. Maria smirked back, an inside joke between the two.
"You're such a dork."
"I've been hangin' around you too much!"
——
"Gosh John, you're such a geek."
"I've been around you too much!"
——
"John, you're such an idiot!"
"We have been hanging out more often, haven't we?"
——
"Damnit John, why're such a good friend?"
"Looks like we've been hanging out too much."