Chapter 13

Warning; some mild or something language at the end I guess. Also it's a very very very very long ass chapter

~Rewind~

Maria curled up into a fetal position in the corner of the torn car set, hot tears falling continuously down her cheeks.
"Wake up buttercup, we're here" the driver said roughly. Maria didn't move.
"Little girl, we gotta go-"
"I'm not going!" Maria sobbed out.  The man sighed and exited the car, walking to her door and opening it.
"I'm not going! I wanna go home! Please, I just wanna see Mama and Papa and Louis-"
"Well you're not gonna see them again- they're dead kiddo, You gotta except it." The man unbuckled Maria's seatbelt and picked her up, despite her protest and kicking. Eventually Maria stopped resisting and sobbed, shaking in his arms.
"I don't get paid enough for this shit..." he mumbled, taking Maria and the little she had brought inside.

Maria stood outside a closed door with her small backpack in her hand, sniffling. She wiped one last tear from her face and knocked on the door, just in case. It opened and there was a girl her age with blonde hair and piercing blue eyes.
"Hi, I'm Mari-" Maria began before the door was slammed in her face. She heard laughter on the other side of the door and opened it carefully.
"I-is this the right room?" Maria asked. The girls inside didn't even look at her. Maria shrugged and walked inside, setting her things on the nearest empty bed. She walked up to the blonde haired girl and offered her hand.
"Hi, I'm Maria."
"Hi Maria, I don't care." The girl said, her hands on her hips. Maria slowly put her hand down and blinked. Then Maria gave her a friendly smile.
"'I don't care' is an odd name to have-"
"Stop it with the lame nerdy jokes. Listen here, Maria, stay away from James Reynolds and we'll be on good terms, okay?"
"Are you two dating?" Maria asked.
"She has a crush on him" one of the others said.
"Oh, okay then. Which one's James?" Maria asked.
"Figure it out loser." The blonde girl and the rest started to make their way out of the room when she turned around.
"The name's Stephanie." Then Maria was left alone in the room to unpack.
——————

Days and weeks passed by, turning into months as Maria waited for someone to turn up to become her friend. And finally the opportunity came.
"Hey Jackie! I found something!" Maria heard someone yell. She searched for where the voice came from. 
"Woah." Maria sped up as the voices got clearer and closer. She peeked through some bushes at two boys her age, one with a gazillion freckles and one with black hair.
"I heard that that's a dragon." The boys looked up at Maria, whom walked out of the bushes fully.
"What's a dragon?" The black haired boy asked.
"That" Maria responded pointing at the snail.
"What's your name?" he asked.
"Maria. You?"
"I'm Charles and this is John."
"You have a lot of freckles."
"I know."
"Whatcha drawing?"
"The dragon."
"Cool. You guys wanna be friends?"
"Yeah!" John responded excitedly.
"Sure" Charles said, not as enthusiastic. That was the beginning of their friendship.
————

"Watch it klutz!" Stephanie elbowed Maria, making her loose her balance and fall. Maria landed face first into her tray of food, earning some laughter from the Stephanie Posse and others around her. John and Charles rushed over to her and helped her up. Maria looked at Stephanie for a minute before picking up and throwing away her tray of food and storming away to the bathroom. John and Charles followed, worried for their friend.
"Maria, you okay?" John asked, knocking on the bathroom door.
"I just tripped and fell face first into my food and gotten laughed at by half the kids. Yeah? I'm totally fine John" Maria responded.
"Can we come in?" Charles asked quietly. There was a moment of silence before Maria said yes. The boys walked inside and closed the door, finding Maria blankly staring in the mirror. They noticed her eyes were red and glossy.
"Mar mar, pay no attention to them. They're just idiots" John said, Charles nodding in agreement. Maria looked at John.
"Mar mar?" She asked. John awkwardly shrugged and put him hands in his pockets.
"It just came to mind. If you don't want me to call you that, that's fine-" Maria hugged John, tears silently running down her face.
"My...my family used to call me that" she whispered. John rubbed Maria's back, knowing how she felt.
"I'm sorry, I didn't know-"
"No John, it's fine. You can call me that."
"Then...you can call me Jacky. My mom used to call me that all the time."
"Will do."
"...do you guys want me to leave or?" Charles asked, standing off to the side and twiddling his thumbs. Maria motioned for him to come over.
"C'mere and make this into a group hug" she said, and Charles complied.
"Thank you guys" Maria said after a moment.
"No problem."
"I wanna get back at those girls though" Maria states.
"Mar mar..."
"Maria don't."
But she was already planning.
————

"What do you mean you already have a girlfriend?" Stephanie asked, taken by surprise.
"This one hot girl came up to me last week and asked me out. I said yes and we've been together since. I kinda like her" James responded with a shrug.
"Who's hotter than me?" Stephanie asked, hands on her hips.
"I think her name's Maria. She's definitely hotter than you." Stephanie scoffed and slapped James, then turned around and stormed up to her shared room.

"Maria, you little cunt!" Stephanie slammed open the door, everyone on the room turning their attention to her and Maria. Maria looked up from her magazine and sat up on her bed.
"Such vile language Steph! You know there are children present-"
"Cut the shit Lewis- you stole James!" Maria stood up and faced Stephanie.
"And how could I steal something that wasn't yours to begin with?" Maria crossed her arms.
"I told you the first day your little ass stepped into her that James is mine-"
"James was yours" Maria corrected.
"You also said you wouldn't mess with me if I didn't go for him, but guess what bitch? You made my life a living hell anyway!"
"Who you callin' a bitch, bitch?"
"I think we all know who the one and only fake ass bitch around here is." Maria leaned up to Stephanie's ear and whispered "you don't run this joint Steph, so sit your little prissy ass down before I do something worse." Shivers went down Stephanie's spine and goosebumps formed on her arms. Maria sat back down on her bed and picked up her magazine, glancing at Steph as she huffed and stormed out of the room frustrated. Maria was quite satisfied with herself and couldn't wait to tell Charles and John.

"You did what?!" The boys simultaneously asked in utter disbelief.
"Mar mar, how'd  you keep this a secret from us for a week?" John asked.
"Simple, I just didn't tell you guys."
"Haha, funny" Charles said sarcastically.
"How could you date the one guy making our lives a living hell?" John asked.
"Calm down guys, it's just a temporary thing to piss Stephanie off. Relax." Charles and John looked at each other and let their guard down.
"Alright then. Temporary. Remember that Maria."

Days passed and weeks went by, and Maria and James were still together.

"I thought you said it was a temporary thing?" John asked Maria one day.
"Yeah well I caught feelings for him-"
"How?" Charles asked, truly puzzled.
"Well, he's sweet and kind-" Maria began, cut off by the boys' laughter.
"Well, he is! He treats me with respect and he always asks me how my day is going and whatnot- will you guys stop laughing!" But laughing they did not stop.
"Why am I even friends with you guys!" Maria walked away in a frustrated flurry. That shut them up.