06. Prey Caught

Flashback: Before Jungkook & Scarlet's encounter.

My stomach gave a wicked growl, a familiar sound that indicated the ravenous state I'm in. The leftover snacks and water I thrived off from proceeds to diminish as time ticked away. My apartment slowly becomes a place I dread the most within a week.

With varieties of meals in mind, my mouth waters due to the imaginary tastes that torments me. Such thoughts infuriate the angry monster in my stomach as an outcry of hunger releases every minute.

I swallow, hoping my imagination is strong enough for me to taste the flavors.

It's just another one of my unrealistic fantasies. One where I am able to devour all the cuisines I haven't had in so long.

Often times, I had a hand grasped around the door handle that grants my freedom. But the risk would be too great if I were to take a peek of the outside world.

A prey willingly leaving its shelter was too simple for the predator. In addition to that, I'm tight on money. Quickly ridding the tempting thoughts of food is simple because of that.

Instant noodles can replace those food for now. I thought.

I stand up, stretching my limbs after the long hours in front of my laptop. With the days passing and the season already changing to summer, reading is the only thing that keeps my mind at ease as I wait.

The kitchen cast a dim light, bright enough for me to see and rummage through cabinets in searching for any food present.

Empty.

Another cabinet opened.

Also empty.

Letting out another sigh, I turn to the sink for a cup of water instead.

"Just as I thought," I murmur, taking a sip before my stomach decides to protest again.

My eyes advert to the clock on the left, debating.

Maybe, just maybe, I can go to that convenience store nearby.

The previous store owners were quite friendly from my prior visits. Sadly, they announced that the store is being sold, for the aging couple plan to go back to Seoul

"I'll miss this place," Mr. Jeon said, "but I'm sure the next owner will take good care, Kim. Don't worry." He and his wife smiled at me.

I didn't bother to tell them my real name.

"I'll surely miss you guys, though." I frowned. They were among the very few people I interacted with, and probably the last.

"We will too," his wife replied. "Promise me you will take care of yourself and pursue those dreams of yours." Mrs. Jeon grinned until crow feet appeared near her eyes.

"I promise," I lied.

"Don't forget to come by sometime to checkup for us." Mr. and Mrs. Jeon both gave me a hug before I departed with free groceries.

"Tomorrow, tomorrow I'll visit."

. . .

Rushing water cascades down my back as steam slowly fills the bathroom from its hot temperature. The warmness of water soothes the aches in my body as I briefly close my eyes in comfort.

My fingers find their way to my hair, caressing it with shampoo as I hum in delight. I make sure to savor this gleeful moment before my water bill decides to spike up.