36: Forest (Final Chapter)

Master Synn leads me through the trees, deep into the forest. 

We walk in comfortable silence - him trudging ahead and me following behind, enjoying the soft wind and warm sunlight brushing across my face - before he breaks the quietness. "She gave her energy to save you."

"Hmm? Who?" I speed up my pace, falling into step beside him.

"Berea." He turns to look at me with his lips parted as if he ponders if he should be saying this at all. "Removing magick that powerful always comes at a price, and she shortened her lifespan in order to save you."

I knew Berea saved me, but I had no idea I was the reason her life is coming to an end. Wincing, I frown and peer up at Master Synn. "Why couldn't she do that for her own daughter?"

"She was too far gone. The magick had been a part of her for too long, and she'd let if flow too deeply into her soul." He reaches out and gently grabs my hand as we walk, brushing his fingers over the patches on my skin. "Those markings - those scars - you have show that the magick was ingrained in your flesh and it was about to root into your soul had we not removed it."

"I didn't deserve her to be so nice to me..." I gingerly pull back from his hold, insecure and embarrassed about the scarred feel and appearance of my skin. "Even just to apologize for what happened with her daughter..."

"That wasn't her entire motivation." Master Synn lowers his arms back to his sides. "She felt she needed to make some things up to me, too. And I care very deeply for you. She did not ask me if I wanted her to, she asked me how much I care for you and made her choice."

I look down, watching the leaves crunch beneath our feet. "I can't ever thank her enough."

"You don't have to." He exhales, and I catch a glimpse of him brushing a bushel of leaves out of my way before I walk into it. "It's nice enough that you apologized and want to throw her a party. I'm not sure anyone has ever had a celebration for her in her lifetime."

My heart aches. No one has celebrated her? Even though my village wasn't great, it still had routine celebrations for births, big occasions, and the ending of lives.

"Enough of this, though. We're here." He's smiling when I turn my gaze back toward him.

I glance around, but all I see are trees. "Where's here?"

"It's a surprise. So, be a good girl and close your eyes for your Master." His pale eyes settle warmly on mine, and a playful smile graces his lips. 

A blush spreads across my face. I don't know why hearing him talk to me like that feels so good, but it does. It makes my entire body feel warm and fills me with memories of our old time together.

I had enjoyed being a slave, after all, but maybe it was because Master Synn wasn't a truly forceful owner; he was compassionate, patient, protective, gentle, and loving.