31: Death

"Saiea." Synn's narrowed eyes soften and his thin lips part. He lowers his hands to his sides as his bright eyes search mine. He looks disappointed and seeing him look at me like that raises nausea to the back of my throat.

"Synn." Adrenaline pulses through my body and the black magick swirls around me. I step closer to him, my chest tightening and my fingers twitching as I approach. I can't wait to kill him.

"Saiea?" His jaw tightens and he steps back, looking at the ground with his sharp brow furrowed. A giggle teases the back of my throat. He's scared, isn't he? Poor little thing.

"Yes, Synn?" My voice rises to a singsong pitch as I step even closer. "Come to tell me I made a mistake? Come to take my magic away so I can be your pathetic sidekick again?"

"You truly think that?" His eyebrows flex into a scowl and his white eyes pierce me. The only other times I've seen him this angry were before he broke the legs of that man who attacked me and just now before he killed his father.

"I know that. You're scared of me. Jealous. You want to control me, just like everyone else in my life." Before I felt afraid. Now I feel enthralled. Black tendrils flicker around me, matching my enraged excitement. I channel all the fury I've felt throughout my life, every moment I've been scared or pushed into doing something, into the electricity.

"You're completely wrong." His hands twitch at his sides as if he expects me to send magick bursting toward him at any moment. "You couldn't be more misguided."

"I'm not." A smile tears across my lips. The closer to him I get the more the magick dances in my chest, thrilled at the prospect of plucking the life from Synn. I'm glad he'll put up a fun fight. I want to make him feel every bit of pain I've ever felt until the light fades from his eyes.

"I'm not afraid of you, I'm afraid for you." His voice softens and he peers genuinely into my eyes. He doesn't step backward anymore, he holds his ground. "I'm not jealous of your power. I pity the fact that you ever got hold of it. And I did enjoy taking care of you and controlling you, but I'd never force you to do anything."

Anger boils within my chest. How DARE he say that! He pities me? When I'm more powerful than him? He'll pity himself when he's laying on the ground dead beside the rest of his family!

I despise everything. I despise the look on his face - his pity - as he stares down at me. I despise the sound of his voice and the feel of his proximity. I despise the fact that he owned me, he controlled me, and I belonged to him. I belong only to myself, I never want his eyes to open again, and I can't bear hearing another word from his lips.

He infuriates me just like my father. Just like Meben. Just like all of the other Draconians. 

Everyone is the same. Everyone tries to control me, but from now on I'm controlling them. I'm eliminating everyone who could ever take my power away from me. And then I'll take the power from everyone else until there is no one on the entire continent who could ever force me to do their bidding.

"I hate you!" I scream as the passion pours from my lips and screeches through the sky. Raising my hand, I shoot a blast of lightning flying toward him. Thunder screams out above us and I look up to see black clouds filling the sky.

Did I do that? Or did my magick do that?

Surprise flicks across Synn's expression for a moment and then fire bursts from his fingertips, enveloping my electricity and consuming it.

But I have more power to burn. Oh, much more.

I send everything I have toward him. His magick falters as the blood dripping from his icicle gash wounds weakens him.

"Stop!!" His voice rumbles alongside the thunder.

He can't hold me off much longer, can he? I keep pressing my magick forward, willing it to hit his body and disintegrate it. Not much further and...

"You. Will. Stop." His eyes glaze red and the thunder booms through the sky, distracting me for a moment as his fire laces around my limbs and constricts me. Struggling to move, I kick and claw and will my magick to break me free, but his blood-red eyes stay fixed on mine as he steps closer and keeps me confined.

"This is the only time I will EVER truly control you, Saiea." His chest heaves and his teeth grit as he stares down at me. I try with all of my might to move or send more electricity toward him, but his magick negates it. I have no idea how he still has power when he looked so exhausted.

Did he let his own anger take over?

I breathe deeply, staring up at him with wild eyes. He stoops down and wraps his fingers around my chin, keeping my head in place as I look up at him. The heat of his flames as they wrap around my body sting but don't burn me. I growl at him, jerking my face from side to side, but he holds me firmly.

I hate him. I want him gone! I want to kill him! If he would let go of me, if he would falter for one second, I would have him dead.

"This is for your own good." He keeps his fingertips under my chin and my eyes fixed on his. "I'm sorry for everything."

Something sharp pierces through my chest, tearing a cry from my lips as the dark clouds erupt a wave of rain upon us.

I share one last gaze with his pale eyes before I crumple into his arms.